Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by amerikestrel »

FullMetalMaple wrote: I have a section on the wiki in progress about that. It is the rabies virus, but the specific family and genus is Rhabdoviridae Lyssavirus. Sometimes, you have to dig around a bit for that. There are also certain types, such as poliovirus, with names that really are that simple.
The virus is scientifically called the rabies virus. The genus is Lyssavirus and the family is Rhabdoviridae, but Rhabdoviridae Lyssavirus is not a taxon.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

amerikestrel wrote:
FullMetalMaple wrote: I have a section on the wiki in progress about that. It is the rabies virus, but the specific family and genus is Rhabdoviridae Lyssavirus. Sometimes, you have to dig around a bit for that. There are also certain types, such as poliovirus, with names that really are that simple.
The virus is scientifically called the rabies virus. The genus is Lyssavirus and the family is Rhabdoviridae, but Rhabdoviridae Lyssavirus is not a taxon.
I know. I'm just pointing out that's what the family and genus are for reference purposes.
TheWiseGirl
State: WA

Post by TheWiseGirl »

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it! :)
I'm quirky like a quark.
liar78
Division: B
State: ID

Post by liar78 »

What kind of difficulty level will it be at Nationals?
2011:
1st Place- Microbe Mission
3rd Place- Can't Judge a Powder
5th Place- Anatomy
School Overall: 1st
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Um... difficult? You can't exactly predict that because of variables, such as the test writer. Looking at the topics, though, especially antimicrobial agents, I suggest you study as hard as you can. There are many different antibiotics and other defenses against bacteria that are worth knowing.
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

Illinois state microbes test was super hard compared to my invites/regionals. It had a station on national level material (which I'm not complaining about, I know it sets teams apart, and we knew a good deal of it). It was technically in stations but a lot of the questions could be answered during extra time given in "duplicate" stations (two of the same station to have extra time + space for all the schools). More on content later... I'm too tired now :?
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
dvd
Division: C

Post by dvd »

There seems to be some discrepancies around how many different shapes of viruses there are. The textbook I have and other websites state there are 3- icosahedron, helix, and complex. How many different shapes are there?

Also, is polyhedral the same as icosahedron, and is binal another name for complex?

Thanks!
2011 Regional, States, National Events
Disease Detectives- N/A, 3rd, 9th
Anatomy- 1st, 2nd, 20th
Microbe Mission- 2nd, 3rd, 4th
WIDI- 1st, 2nd, 38th
Fossils- 2nd, N/A, N/A
Compute This- 4th, 4th, N/A
Team- 1st, 1st, 11th

Medal Count: 32
Moving on to C division
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

dvd wrote:There seems to be some discrepancies around how many different shapes of viruses there are. The textbook I have and other websites state there are 3- icosahedron, helix, and complex. How many different shapes are there?

Also, is polyhedral the same as icosahedron, and is binal another name for complex?

Thanks!
I've also found that there are three. If you find anymore, the classification probably getting specific about whether the virus has a membrane envelope. I believe polyhedral is essentially the same as icosahedral, and as far as I know, binal is another name for complex.
earthbot25

Post by earthbot25 »

are there any major (or minor) people or scientists I should know?
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

earthbot25 wrote:are there any major (or minor) people or scientists I should know?
I've seen questions about Hershey, Chase, and Griffith on a test. It would be good to know them. I also recommend knowing about Koch and Pasteur, and possibly Prusiner.

Otherwise, I don't think there are too many scientists in this event... not that I've seen, anyway.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”