Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Starapollo1 »

FullMetalMaple wrote:
dvd wrote:Letter e of the rules seems pretty vague, it states:
"Diseases caused by different kind of microbes and the treatment/prevention of these diseases."

When it just states "diseases", this could even be interpreted as identification of the diseases. Do you think that we would be asked to identify a disease causing agent, such as Bacillus anthracis?
Possibly. I did at my state competition - we had to look at pathogens underneath a microscope and identify which disease they cause, as well as the specific type of bacteria, etc. that causes the disease. For example, the type of virus that causes chicken pox (varicella zoster).
Hey did you find a site that was helpful with the identification of the specifical bacteria? I know some are common sense but for the more trick ones i really want to go over and I don't have a lot of sources... :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Starapollo1 wrote:Hey did you find a site that was helpful with the identification of the specifical bacteria? I know some are common sense but for the more trick ones i really want to go over and I don't have a lot of sources... :)
I actually had it all in a book... (Schaum's Outlines of Microbiology, which I found while tagging along on my brother's college visit, haha) I'll look to see if I can find something to help you.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

Why are you so amazing?? And WHY do you live in Kansas!!! lol jk :)
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Starapollo1 wrote:Why are you so amazing?? And WHY do you live in Kansas!!! lol jk :)
I just have lots of time on my hands now that my team's season is over. And I'm sorry - I actually don't live in Kansas by choice. I'm Canadian. :P But thank you.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

I'll look up the book when I get a chance, thanks FMM!! :D
Last edited by Starapollo1 on April 8th, 2011, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

Could you guys please try to stay on topic? That discussion belongs in general chat.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Yeah, I was going to ask if we could move it somewhere else. I'll PM you my thoughts on that story, Star. (: And you're very welcome. I'll probably put what I find about the diseases on the MM wiki when I finish going through the list.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

I am not sure if this has been posted already, but is anyone expecting a significant change in Microbe Mission's rules for next year? If so, what?
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:I am not sure if this has been posted already, but is anyone expecting a significant change in Microbe Mission's rules for next year? If so, what?
Probably not as Microbe Mission is basically microbiology and not really a specific part of microbiology. Although they could change up the disease list or make it more of a lab than a written test.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:I am not sure if this has been posted already, but is anyone expecting a significant change in Microbe Mission's rules for next year? If so, what?
Not really, unless there's a focus on a certain type of microbe (viruses or archaea, please!). If there's too much focus on pathogens and diseases, it's too close to Disease Detectives; if there's too much about uses, it's too close to Ecology or maybe even Food Science (if that becomes an event next year).

Return to “2011 Lab Events”