Microbe Mission B/C

Starapollo1
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Starapollo1 »

QuantumLeaper wrote:For all of you who went to Nationals, what was the test like for this event?
The test was awesome! It was relatively easy (which means missing a few or more landed you in an insanely low placing) but it was still a good test! The guy running it was really funny too, it was worth not placing just because of him! lol
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
biribiri
Division: C

Post by biribiri »

Any ideas on what kind of rule changes will be made next year for this event? Do you guys think the list of microbial diseases will generally stay the same?
(ノゝ∀・)~☆
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

Not sure if it will be here next year.
It is a completely new event as of this year.
For some reason, at my regional competition, they asked about diseases that were not on the list.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

Did you ask your coach to file an appeal and did anyone else complain about it? I've heard that NY use the same test for multiple regionals, did anyone else from another regional have that problem?
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

NYLHVSSO wrote:For some reason, at my regional competition, they asked about diseases that were not on the list.
That's pretty common, it seems. I've certainly seen diseases not on the list before - I think there might have been one on my state test.
biribiri wrote:Any ideas on what kind of rule changes will be made next year for this event? Do you guys think the list of microbial diseases will generally stay the same?
If this event sticks around (not sure why it wouldn't), I don't know why the diseases would be the same. It would be more fun if they switched around.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

I think it would be really cool if perhaps next years rules had less diseases but a lore more in depth look on them. Just an idea, but I think it would be fun :)
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Starapollo1 wrote:I think it would be really cool if perhaps next years rules had less diseases but a lore more in depth look on them. Just an idea, but I think it would be fun :)
I like that. But it would make things more complicated if a test were to ask about diseases not on the list, which is fairly common. I just hope the disease element and the microbe element would balance well if disease questions were more thorough.
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

Wouldn't be nice if the people writing the tests read the rules and only asked questions over the right diseases? lol I feel like that would solve a lot of problems :lol:
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

If they put a disease that's not on the list, just tell them on the answer sheet.

On my "cheat sheet" (page of notes) for this event at Regionals, I had all the diseases and microbes. I actually copied and pasted the whole training sheet and microscopy review and shrank it to 7pt font size and 0.3 inch margins. (And there were some people without cheat sheets).

At Regionals we got 2nd place and beat the other team. We lent the cheat sheet to the state team (which I was not on) and they got 9th at states.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Starapollo1 wrote:Wouldn't be nice if the people writing the tests read the rules and only asked questions over the right diseases? lol I feel like that would solve a lot of problems :lol:
Having topics not in the rules is a common problem in every event, I think. It would be nice if more supervisors read the rules (though there are great people who do, and I greatly appreciate all proctors anyway)... but there are ways to circumvent it if they don't. For example, fungal infections are called mycoses. If you find "mycosis" in the name of a disease, it should be fungal (i.e. blastomycosis and myringomycosis).
NYLHVSSO wrote:If they put a disease that's not on the list, just tell them on the answer sheet.
Eh, I wouldn't try that. I heard about a team that got points taken off for doing so.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”