Awesome Aquifers B

science nerd_11
Division: B
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Awesome Aquifers B

Post by science nerd_11 » April 14th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Thanks. I have another question though, wouldn't you have to take out the previous aquifer?

FueL
Division: C
State: NY

Post by FueL » April 14th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Why would you need to do that?
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

science nerd_11
Division: B
State: MO

Post by science nerd_11 » April 14th, 2011, 7:45 pm

well, i guess you wouldn'nt really, i was just thinking a different way, but you could explain it all in one aquifer, i just never really thought about it... thanks for explaining :)

FueL

Post by FueL » April 15th, 2011, 3:25 pm

No problem, good luck at your competition!
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 15th, 2011, 8:08 pm

FueL wrote:
Tramsarran wrote:It really helped me in my presentation to show that I really, truely understand the vocab words. I just explained the concepts using an extensive knowledge of the vocab words to impress the judge and managed 4th place at NY States even though the model that we built was nothing but a layer of sand, gravel, and a piece of clay thrown in somewhere. To show confidence in the model and in your presentation skills really impress the judges.

Does anyone else think that the States test for Awesome Aquifers was too easy and ridiculous?
Congrats on fourth! Is there any reason why you used sand instead of gravel for one of the layers? We tried using sand, but it was difficult to see the location of the water table.

Stations 1 and 2... left much to be desired. There wasn't any actual diagram interpretation, and everything but the last question was multiple choice. I liked the concepts chosen for station 4, but there could've been a few more difficult ones thrown into the mix to create a wider gap between scores. I'm sure 1st place and 6th place were only separated by a few points.
Good job on 2nd! We hadn't really prepared and our model was a fail but we had really brought it together with the presentation because we pretended to show confidence. Sand was just what we brought and we used a very thin layer of sand, about a fourth to a half of an inch thick. We made the water table higher than the sand since we were able to see the water table when it was at the gravel thanks to the porosity of the gravel.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy » April 16th, 2011, 10:21 am

For some reason, we cannot show a cone of depression concept (for states) because the pressure in our aquifer is to low. Can anyone tell me how they are doing it.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

FueL

Post by FueL » April 16th, 2011, 4:47 pm

I don't know if this will help you, but we had the same problem until my partner got a huge soap pump from our tech teacher.

Here it is in all its glory. =D For those who are wondering, we were experimenting with Go stones for the top layer, and the colorful foam below the Monopoly houses was supposed to represent sinkholes.

havenguy

Post by havenguy » April 16th, 2011, 5:34 pm

Thanks FueL, that really helps. I can't tell from the picture, but is that a confined aquifer or an unconfined :?:

Me and my partner will try a larger hand pump, though.

2016 States Results:
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

FueL

Post by FueL » April 16th, 2011, 5:39 pm

The blue thing is a clay layer but it doesn't stretch all the way across, so there's both a confined and unconfined aquifer. The soap pump is drawing water from the confined aquifer.

havenguy

Post by havenguy » April 16th, 2011, 8:07 pm

I see.

2016 States Results: