Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Disease Detectives B/C

Postby Jim_R » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:28 am

Discussion for Disease Detectives B/C.
Disease Detectives Wiki
2010 Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

mali_16
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Postby mali_16 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Is disease going to focus on population growth this year or has the topic changed? This is my first year in C division. Can anyone tell me how it is different from B?
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

Planned 2011 Events: Anatomy, Disease Detectives and Ecology

Flavorflav
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:41 pm

It's food-borne illnesses this year, and C is not much different from B - just a little more math and research design.

Starapollo1
State: IN

Postby Starapollo1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 pm

mali_16 wrote:Is disease going to focus on population growth this year or has the topic changed? This is my first year in C division. Can anyone tell me how it is different from B?

Well in division B you get a binder for information and in division C you get a piece of paper. You shouldn't have too much to put on the sheet anyway though so it isn't that big of a deal. And yeah i'm fairly sure it's food borne illnesses

Oh on another note, anyone know if we're still going to have info sheets for the events this year? It was kind of annoying last year to be honest...
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

sciolygrl258
Division: C
State: PA

Postby sciolygrl258 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Binder? Is that new? We didnt get a binder last year.
PA STATES 2012:
Optics: 3rd
Experimental Design: 5th

Team: 1st!!!!! XDD

17 hr bus drive to Orlando? I think yes! ^o^

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:22 pm

sciolygrl258 wrote:Binder? Is that new? We didnt get a binder last year.

It was a dumb IN thing. B division got binders which was kind of pointless cause no one even knew what they should put in the binders. But anywho, anyone know if we are getting info sheets for the study events this year? I know no one knows for sure but... I thought I'd ask anyway
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Most study events are probably getting info sheets- especially B division. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't have one.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

AlphaTauri

Postby AlphaTauri » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:20 am

Most events. I recall Anatomy 2 years ago had no resources allowed (except a calculator) and sometimes they do weird stuff, like when Env. Chem notesheets had to be handwritten, or how you were (are?) allowed a laptop for Astronomy.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 -

]\/[ Go Blue!

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:44 am

Anatomy will probably not have a notes sheet this year, either. I am convinced that the only reason that they had it was that there was so much stuff to memorize.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:33 pm

I think the info sheets are kind of annyoing, you should understand the material well enough that you don't need one. Having said that I must admitt there have been times when thsoe info sheets have saved my life, like once last year when I spaced on how to do standard deviation. Anywho I'm fairly certain Anatomy will be allowed the same 8.5 by 11 in. two-sided page of notes... :(

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:23 pm

I think three years ago, I was put onto Disease Detectives for States after there was a conflict in scheduling. One of the things I remember is that there was no cheat sheet allowed. In my opinion, most of the stuff about analyzing an outbreak would be difficult to put on a sheet, and most of the stuff that you should just know off the top of your head like vocab, types of studies, etc. shouldn't have to be on a sheet. It's hard to say that "all B events should have a sheet" or something because each event is different in its style.

That said, I don't think Disease Detectives should have a sheet in either B or C. But I don't really have control over those sorts of things.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

ichaelm

Postby ichaelm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:35 pm

I thought the same thing when they first started allowing sheets for DD. We ended up creating a gigantic vocabulary list, and a gigantic database of every disease we could think of, and everything we knew about them. The font was like 5 pt or something. That kind of information helped sometimes, like when we couldn't remember if so-and-so was a virus or a bacteria. So now it would feel like a loss to not have those handy sheets. But honestly I didn't need the sheet at all for the nationals test. The only time I really needed it was when proctors who didn't really understand the event told us to match the disease with the symptoms or something. I think we'd be fine without the sheet.

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: -

Postby fleet130 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 am

A quick check of the rules shows 1, 2-sided 8-1/2in x 11in page of notes per team for both Div.B ad Div. C
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI

Postby tclme elmo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:26 pm

paleonaps95 wrote:Anatomy will probably not have a notes sheet this year, either. I am convinced that the only reason that they had it was that there was so much stuff to memorize.

But you don't think there's as much stuff to memorize this year?
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby paleonaps » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:21 pm

Eh, not really. I mean, there still is stuff, but there was a lot to memorize for skeletal last year that's gone now.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist

Return to “2011 Lab Events”