geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by geekychic13 »

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Yeahhhhhhhhhh, so I'm going to do disease detectives this year for the first time (this is my second year in s.o., but I didn't do this last year), and I have no idea how to prepare, study, make notes, find resources, what to study, ect. Suggestions? (please, please, please, please help... :oops: ) :D
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Yeahhhhhhhhhh, so I'm going to do disease detectives this year for the first time (this is my second year in s.o., but I didn't do this last year), and I have no idea how to prepare, study, make notes, find resources, what to study, ect. Suggestions? (please, please, please, please help... :oops: ) :D
All of the resources that you really need can be found at the official event page, here: http://soinc.org/disease_detectives_b
Start with the Powerpoint and the Training Handout, and move from there. Also, check out the community wiki on the event, here: http://scioly.org/wiki/Disease_Detectives
Also, one of the best things you can do to prepare for events, and Disease Detectives in particular, is to take practice tests. The community test exchange has a good selection to choose from, here: http://scioly.org/wiki/Test_Exchange#Disease_Detectives

Best of Luck!
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
geekychic13

Post by geekychic13 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
All of the resources that you really need can be found at the official event page, here: http://soinc.org/disease_detectives_b
Start with the Powerpoint and the Training Handout, and move from there. Also, check out the community wiki on the event, here: http://scioly.org/wiki/Disease_Detectives
Also, one of the best things you can do to prepare for events, and Disease Detectives in particular, is to take practice tests. The community test exchange has a good selection to choose from, here: http://scioly.org/wiki/Test_Exchange#Disease_Detectives

Best of Luck!
thanks a trillion!
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
And everything you do

-Yellow, by Coldplay
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

Also there are way more tests online, you just have to find them.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

This was a very hard event. I didn't make it to states (this event is state only in NY), but from the beginning it looked like something on the 7th or 8th grade level. If you're not good at those hard events I don't recommend you try this one. (You'll probably be able to tell once you start studying anyway.)
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

NYLHVSSO wrote:This was a very hard event. I didn't make it to states (this event is state only in NY), but from the beginning it looked like something on the 7th or 8th grade level. If you're not good at those hard events I don't recommend you try this one. (You'll probably be able to tell once you start studying anyway.)
While I won't deny the difficulty of Disease Detectives, I feel that something must be said in defense of the event. The challenging nature of the event stems from the way that Disease tests are usually written. Disease Detectives doesn't emphasize regurgitation of facts; it emphasizes the process of epidemiological investigation. While some events allow participants to get by with a notesheet filled with facts and figures, to succeed in Disease, one must have a thorough understanding of the outbreak investigation procedure. (Though a well-prepared notesheet certainly doesn't hurt.)

I've done this event for two years, have had moderate success, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Once you get the hang of the way Disease tests are typically written, the event is no longer intimidating and is certainly much less difficult. I'd recommend this event to anyone interested in the subject matter.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
geekychic13

Post by geekychic13 »

yeahhh, even though its hard, it is really awesome, and if some events weren;t challenging, then...well, you know what i mean (curator from Night at the Museum moment :oops: lol) but from the beginning from my viewpoint, it was always challenging. i think ill have to agree with Luo, and its not really that hard once you can truly comprehend it.
Luo wrote:
NYLHVSSO wrote:This was a very hard event. I didn't make it to states (this event is state only in NY), but from the beginning it looked like something on the 7th or 8th grade level. If you're not good at those hard events I don't recommend you try this one. (You'll probably be able to tell once you start studying anyway.)
While I won't deny the difficulty of Disease Detectives, I feel that something must be said in defense of the event. The challenging nature of the event stems from the way that Disease tests are usually written. Disease Detectives doesn't emphasize regurgitation of facts; it emphasizes the process of epidemiological investigation. While some events allow participants to get by with a notesheet filled with facts and figures, to succeed in Disease, one must have a thorough understanding of the outbreak investigation procedure. (Though a well-prepared notesheet certainly doesn't hurt.)

I've done this event for two years, have had moderate success, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Once you get the hang of the way Disease tests are typically written, the event is no longer intimidating and is certainly much less difficult. I'd recommend this event to anyone interested in the subject matter.
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
And everything you do

-Yellow, by Coldplay

Return to “2011 Lab Events”