Disease Detectives B/C

QuantumLeaper
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by QuantumLeaper »

I found this description very helpful (it's the Gale Encyclopedia one) because I had the same question myself (first year in Disease Detectives this year). It does define a cross-sectional study as a survey, but it goes into more detail than most definitions I've seen. I hope this helps.

http://www.answers.com/topic/synchronic-study
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
EpicFailure
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure »

Thanks, that helped. What are some reasons for missing data?
ptkid
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

Did anybody finish the national test? It was 3 scenarios.
I split it and still didn't finish. We didn't finish 1/6th of the test but we still got 15th. :o
:?: :?:
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

The C division one was equally as long... it was a LOT different than the exams I was prepared for! It completely took me off guard and my partner and I did really, really, really, poorly on it. On the other hand it was an incredible test! It was very well thought out and definitely was on topic! Great test.
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

Starapollo1 wrote:The C division one was equally as long... it was a LOT different than the exams I was prepared for! It completely took me off guard and my partner and I did really, really, really, poorly on it. On the other hand it was an incredible test! It was very well thought out and definitely was on topic! Great test.
The test really was quite nice. I was kicking myself for not bringing a watch, though: I didn't even look at the 3rd scenario until they called 5 minutes. :( Could have done a lot better, but I'm still content.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:The C division one was equally as long... it was a LOT different than the exams I was prepared for! It completely took me off guard and my partner and I did really, really, really, poorly on it. On the other hand it was an incredible test! It was very well thought out and definitely was on topic! Great test.
The test really was quite nice. I was kicking myself for not bringing a watch, though: I didn't even look at the 3rd scenario until they called 5 minutes. :( Could have done a lot better, but I'm still content.
I know exactly what you mean! When the one kid asked if he could use his stop watch my partner and I were like "oh wow... we're so stupid..." We ended up only getting through half the test (maybe) ... we ended up with 36th :(
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

We didn't answer 7 questions or so and ended up with 12th...
I thought the test was really easy, I just didn't have enough time for all of the questions... *sigh*
srsvball95
State: TX

Post by srsvball95 »

Yeah, the test was easy, but long. We got 11th, but we didn't finish and I'm pretty mad about that. I didn't even look at the third scenario, since we were working up until they called time.

And it's foodborne again next year, right?
Seven Lakes High School Class of 2014
Beckendorff Alumni
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Likewise, our team didn't even get close to finishing. The test wasn't that difficult, but we took way too much time. We ended up 17th.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Epidemiologist
State: FL

Post by Epidemiologist »

I don't believe the national test was very long, yes it was 26 pages, but if you properly trained that should be nothing. It was also extremely easy, except for the analysis of EMG testing. Also, you could split it up among your partner. My partner wasn't prepared, but I still finished everything and managed to get 10th place.
Disease Detectives
2009, 1 Regionals, 2 States
2010, 1 Regionals, 2 States, 31 Nationals
2011, 1 Regionals, 1 States, 10 Nationals
2012, 18 Solon Invitationals, 2 Regionals, 4 States

Return to “2011 Lab Events”