Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Can't Judge a Powder B

Post by robotman »

first of all conducts? doesn't really ask anything

Second these are easy properties to find out yourself.

Third I have noticed that it sometimes exhibits a slightly soapy oder (
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Just to answer your question, NaOH does conduct, given that it is an ionic compound. Like robotman said, you could have found that with some research, but I felt like being nice. And it probably does have a soapy odor since it exhibits some of the same properties as most soaps, including the fact that they are bases.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
HannahD413
Division: C
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by HannahD413 »

On the wiki and some of the tests on the test exchange, in addition to the examples of "good" observations, it appears you need to be measuring the volume of the substances you are given, and I was wondering how you are supposed to accomplish this. In the rules, it does not say you can bring a graduated cylinder or something similar to that does it? And it is not included in the things that the event supervisor has to bring. I am sorry if I just missed something in the rules, but if someone could tell me where it is that would be appreciated.
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

HannahD413 wrote:On the wiki and some of the tests on the test exchange, in addition to the examples of "good" observations, it appears you need to be measuring the volume of the substances you are given, and I was wondering how you are supposed to accomplish this. In the rules, it does not say you can bring a graduated cylinder or something similar to that does it? And it is not included in the things that the event supervisor has to bring. I am sorry if I just missed something in the rules, but if someone could tell me where it is that would be appreciated.
There are a couple of ways to do this.
First is the volume of the original power (i.e. 5ml) which would come from the container they give you or if there is no way to measure volume on the container just using relatives (i.e. Half, 3/4)
Second is the amount used in a reaction My partner and I used relatives for this (i.e half a spatula) or if we had a balance 1/2 a spatula == 1g we would write
"1/2 a spatula(~1g) of powder turns the 2ml of water magenta"
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
HannahD413
State: MI

Post by HannahD413 »

robotman09 wrote:
HannahD413 wrote:On the wiki and some of the tests on the test exchange, in addition to the examples of "good" observations, it appears you need to be measuring the volume of the substances you are given, and I was wondering how you are supposed to accomplish this. In the rules, it does not say you can bring a graduated cylinder or something similar to that does it? And it is not included in the things that the event supervisor has to bring. I am sorry if I just missed something in the rules, but if someone could tell me where it is that would be appreciated.
There are a couple of ways to do this.
First is the volume of the original power (i.e. 5ml) which would come from the container they give you or if there is no way to measure volume on the container just using relatives (i.e. Half, 3/4)
Second is the amount used in a reaction My partner and I used relatives for this (i.e half a spatula) or if we had a balance 1/2 a spatula == 1g we would write
"1/2 a spatula(~1g) of powder turns the 2ml of water magenta"
Okay thanks. Also, are you allowed a graduated pipette, or just an eye dropper?
Last edited by HannahD413 on November 24th, 2010, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
purplepeopleeater

Post by purplepeopleeater »

yes you can bring graduated pipettes.
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
cvmsrocksyoursocks
Division: B
State: CA

Post by cvmsrocksyoursocks »

I have two questions, first of all if I get everything on this page: http://www.scioly.org/wiki/Cant_Judge_A_Powder will that be enough for my notes, and also can you just memorize some stuff ahead of time, like the properties or water, NaOH, and HCl (I mean wouldn't that be easier, so you don't have to waste time and test it?)
purplepeopleeater

Post by purplepeopleeater »

Um... just make sure you dont take the notes IN. :)
and i have NO clue how competitive CA is.... but for Texas, no its not enough... maybe for the first 2 invites, but our proctors are really good at incorporating LOTS of chemistry. START with the wiki, because if you don't know that then.... Whew- good luck. (i like the virginia piqua regional test...) then just start looking at things that you can pull from the observations, dig deeper and have fun!!!
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
hpfananu

Post by hpfananu »

If your school went to invitationals last year or you know someone who did, try and get tests because purplepeopleeater and I have found that the best way to learn what more you can add is just by doing tests and going back and doing more tests. Also, just curious, what kind of pH paper do you guys usually use?
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

It looks like I'm doing this event for states. I'm new to this event, can anyone tell me where's a good place to start practicing? All help is greatly appreciated. :)

Return to “2011 Lab Events”