Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Forensics C

Postby Jim_R » July 9th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Discussion for Forensics C
Forensics Wiki
2010 Lab Event Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

quizbowl
State: NY

Re: Forensics C

Postby quizbowl » September 9th, 2010, 9:35 pm

are there any significant changes in this years rules?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS

<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Coach Marz

Postby Coach Marz » September 10th, 2010, 4:31 am

Polymers back in- water sampling out

quizbowl

Postby quizbowl » September 10th, 2010, 6:54 am

is that it? are any samples changed? is the one sheet rule still in effect?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS

<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » September 10th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Yep, only one double-sided page of notes (I don't know about the samples though). Oh, and you have to wear closed-toed shoes, chemical splash goggles, pants/skirts that reach the ankles, a long-sleeved shirt, and a chemical apron or lab coat that reaches the knees or you'll get kicked out.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

classictoaster
Division: C
State: TX

Postby classictoaster » November 18th, 2010, 2:45 pm

EDIT: Accidental post, figured it out now. :D
Forensics and Disease Detectives is where its at. Fool.

Wolves
State: -

Postby Wolves » November 21st, 2010, 10:58 pm

AlphaTauri wrote:Yep, only one double-sided page of notes (I don't know about the samples though). Oh, and you have to wear closed-toed shoes, chemical splash goggles, pants/skirts that reach the ankles, a long-sleeved shirt, and a chemical apron or lab coat that reaches the knees or you'll get kicked out.

I don't really see that as a problem... just get your protection together and compete... not wearing an apron is a stupid way to lose.

Wolves

Postby Wolves » November 22nd, 2010, 7:10 am

Btw, based on Forensics exams ya'll have taken, do you ever see evidence come up as "inconclusive", or, are you always inclined to find some link from evidence to a victim?

aditya8081
State: GA

Postby aditya8081 » November 24th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Yeah. In many cases I have found evidence that is irrelevant to the crime scene. Additionally, some evidence may pertain to the scene but not eliminate any suspect.

austinfhs
State: CA

Postby austinfhs » December 2nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

I've always been able to come up with a most probably suspect, despite the fact that sometimes the information contradicts itself. I doubt that they would set up the whole lab and not have a suspect - then what would you write for your analysis? Haha

On another note ... how much material do you think they will give us for the fibers? Just a couple square inches, maybe?

Vizard007

Postby Vizard007 » December 4th, 2010, 10:34 pm

A couple square inches sounds just about right.
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.

personasaurus rex

Postby personasaurus rex » December 22nd, 2010, 4:36 pm

For powders people out there, is there a trick to be able to tell the flame color of certain powders? Because some of them (like the green and the purple) are so faint that half the time you can barely see it. Also, does anyone know why for a lot of the powders that are supposed to burn a certain color they just burn the same orange? It's definitely not the stick burning but it's not supposed to be that color.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

austinfhs

Postby austinfhs » December 22nd, 2010, 5:22 pm

Sometimes some substances don't burn as readily as they should. Also, you have to consider that what you are burning may not be a pure substance, but mixed with some impure substances. Other reasons could be that you're not positioning the substance within the flame correctly and the flame is not powerful enough. What substance are you having trouble IDing? With enough practice you should be able to identify the flame tests, even though there is not much color coming out. Even though there is no real trick to tell the flame color, so it is more accurate if you use chemical reactions to identify the powder. You can Google some flowcharts that can help you do this, depending on the substance at quest.

personasaurus rex

Postby personasaurus rex » December 22nd, 2010, 5:40 pm

austinfhs wrote:Sometimes some substances don't burn as readily as they should. Also, you have to consider that what you are burning may not be a pure substance, but mixed with some impure substances. Other reasons could be that you're not positioning the substance within the flame correctly and the flame is not powerful enough. What substance are you having trouble IDing? With enough practice you should be able to identify the flame tests, even though there is not much color coming out. Even though there is no real trick to tell the flame color, so it is more accurate if you use chemical reactions to identify the powder. You can Google some flowcharts that can help you do this, depending on the substance at quest.

the worst ones are like potassium chloride, because the color is a faint purple that 1) blends in with the bunsen burner blue and 2) it's so faint that I can never see it. Sometimes boric acid is pretty bad too because the green shows up not regularly.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

jazzy009

Postby jazzy009 » December 22nd, 2010, 9:27 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:the worst ones are like potassium chloride, because the color is a faint purple that 1) blends in with the bunsen burner blue and 2) it's so faint that I can never see it. Sometimes boric acid is pretty bad too because the green shows up not regularly.

I think you may need to be a little more patient with your flame tests; boric acid and potassium chloride are extremely distinguishable! Those, combined with lithium chloride, make for an easy test!

Also (reading earlier posts), all sodiums will burn orange. Not only that, but the sodium stains your loop (what fun!). So if you're getting a constant orange and can tell it's a sodium, you definitely need to clean your loop with acid before running another test with it.
Call me coach.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”