Forensics C

personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by personasaurus rex »

Phenylethylamine wrote:I love the NY Forensics supervisor. He's also the national supervisor, and yes, his tests are hard, but they're well run and well thought out.
Oh don't get me wrong. He may be crazy but he is an amazing proctor and his tests are great because they really separate the teams who know what they're doing from the teams who BS their way through things. Unfortunately, not all the proctors at states make tests like that =/
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
gogofofo
State: IL

Post by gogofofo »

Phenylethylamine wrote:I love the NY Forensics supervisor. He's also the national supervisor, and yes, his tests are hard, but they're well run and well thought out.
I thought the national supervisor was from Indiana?
State
2009: 1st Forensics, 1st Astronomy, 3rd Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 1st Astro
2011: 1st Forensics, 2nd Astro, 1st TPS

Nationals
2009: 10th Forensics, 3rd Astronomy, 11th Remote Sensing
2010: 1st Forensics, 9th Astronomy
2011: 2nd Forensics, 8th Astronomy, 10th TPS
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

gogofofo wrote:
I think the NY guy is only National supervisor for Crime Busters, not Forensics. I think he's a bit better than the national guy, though, just judging from the released tests.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Flavorflav wrote:
gogofofo wrote:
I think the NY guy is only National supervisor for Crime Busters, not Forensics. I think he's a bit better than the national guy, though, just judging from the released tests.
Interesting. I knew he was the Crime Busters supervisor, and I guess I assumed he also did Forensics at Nationals because he was wearing a pin that said "National Supervisor" during the Forensics event.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
nanowhale
State: IL

Post by nanowhale »

Sae wrote:It just seemed like there was way too much on my test to finish it all in the time period.
Don't worry, I felt the same way.... turned out that the year I had that feeling was the year I did better.
2012 events:
Forensics
Protein Modeling
Thermodyanmics
kcanvan
State: MI

Post by kcanvan »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
Sae wrote:It just seemed like there was way too much on my test to finish it all in the time period.
Some event writers will intentionally make the event a bit too long to finish, because that way it's easier to tell which teams really knew their stuff. If the event is easily finishable within the time, multiple teams might finish the whole thing and have very similar scores, so they make it more difficult and longer to separate out the scores of those top places.
Right, the way I've always known it is proctors make the tests (especially for Nats) too long to finish, in order to prevent high, tying scores.
2011 events ~ Regionals
Mission Possible (5th) - Mousetrap (11th) - Forensics (7th) - Fossils (14th) - Helicopter (1st) - Disease Detective (11th)
mmanders

Post by mmanders »

Does anyone know how they are including a mass spectrum in this event? Do they expect knowledge of fragments?
kcanvan
State: MI

Post by kcanvan »

mmanders wrote:Does anyone know how they are including a mass spectrum in this event? Do they expect knowledge of fragments?
Of the two invitationals I went to, we hadn't gone over mass spectrometer readings before the event and did fine with them. It was mostly comparing a few samples of readings.
2011 events ~ Regionals
Mission Possible (5th) - Mousetrap (11th) - Forensics (7th) - Fossils (14th) - Helicopter (1st) - Disease Detective (11th)
T-B
State: NC

Re: Forensics C/Crime Busters B

Post by T-B »

Help. Our Division B Crime Busters team went to regionals but was not allowed to use a microscope or burn tests to identify fibers. Obviously they could use iodine to identify whether the fibers were plant based, but they were given Benedicts solution too. But no hot water. How does that factor into fiber identification? From food science we know that Beneticts tests for the presence of glucose, but we also saw a fancy fiber id kit available online that included Benedicts, so we know it must do something but we can't find anything online. Would someone please help us figure this out? Thanks.
whadk
State: IN

Post by whadk »

our team failed this at state cuz we didn't make it to the room in time,,, we weren't notified,, :(
RWARRRR :)

Return to “2011 Lab Events”