Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Crime Busters B

Post by prelude to death »

northernjacana wrote:Oh. I meant that we didn't get any pictures of blood either. We had to identify nine different types of fingerprints. Also, the chromatography was in powders that one presumably had to mix with water and then put it on the paper strip... though my partner was unfamiliar with that, we managed to get 2nd place. I think the essay saved us though (even if I wrote it).
Oh... sorry... I meant the DNA thingy.... >.< It never fails to remind me of blood when I look at the pictures though. And the chromatography was unfamiliar with me too, but my partner managed to eventually find out how to do it. Wow! 2nd place! Congrats!!!! (Dang, we didn't even place.... >.>)
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
poparteeb2
State: NY

Post by poparteeb2 »

Has anyone gotten soil analysis in here? I've never seen it before on an event, and what are you supposed to do? :roll:
Regionals: 1st place Crime, 1st place Anatomy, 3rd place Experimental Design.
States: 1st Place Anatomy, 2nd Place Experimental Design, 6th Place Crime, 26th Place Powders *wince*
Nationals: 4th place Anatomy, 4th place Crime, 30th Powders *wince again*
Overall team ranking: 7th
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by prelude to death »

poparteeb2 wrote:Has anyone gotten soil analysis in here? I've never seen it before on an event, and what are you supposed to do? :roll:
I've never gotten soil analysis on an actual test, but I've had some practice tests that have soil analysis on them. Basically, from what I've seen, it's mostly just matching up tire treads or shoe prints on the soil with pictures of the actual bottom of the shoe or tire. It's pretty simple for me, because all you have to really do is look for some specific patterns or shapes that appear on each shoe/tire.
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
poparteeb2
State: NY

Post by poparteeb2 »

Oh, that's cool then :D. Then, also for fingerprinting, how would you tell if it's a radial or ulnar loop? (because they usually would not give you the hand the fingerprint is found on, would they?)

Also, a question to any New Yorkers in here: Is it possible for anyone to put up the invitational event for Crime Busters 2011? That would be very greatly appreciated!
Regionals: 1st place Crime, 1st place Anatomy, 3rd place Experimental Design.
States: 1st Place Anatomy, 2nd Place Experimental Design, 6th Place Crime, 26th Place Powders *wince*
Nationals: 4th place Anatomy, 4th place Crime, 30th Powders *wince again*
Overall team ranking: 7th
bam
State: PA

Post by bam »

poparteeb2 wrote:Oh, that's cool then :D. Then, also for fingerprinting, how would you tell if it's a radial or ulnar loop? (because they usually would not give you the hand the fingerprint is found on, would they?)

Also, a question to any New Yorkers in here: Is it possible for anyone to put up the invitational event for Crime Busters 2011? That would be very greatly appreciated!
Well, ulnar and radial loops curve different ways. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that ulnar loops curve toward the right and radial towards the left....if you don't get what I'm saying, go to google images and search radial and ulnar loops. Scroll down a bit, then you should find a comparison of the two.
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
sweetgirl964
Division: B
State: IL

Post by sweetgirl964 »

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if the same person who wrote last year's nationals test for crimebusters is writing it this year too?
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

bam wrote:
poparteeb2 wrote:Oh, that's cool then :D. Then, also for fingerprinting, how would you tell if it's a radial or ulnar loop? (because they usually would not give you the hand the fingerprint is found on, would they?)

Well, ulnar and radial loops curve different ways. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that ulnar loops curve toward the right and radial towards the left....if you don't get what I'm saying, go to google images and search radial and ulnar loops. Scroll down a bit, then you should find a comparison of the two.
Whoa li'l dogie... It depends which hand! the radial loop ALWAYS starts on the inside, near the thumb (and radial bone). The Ulnar loop ALWAYS starts on the outside, near the pinky (and ulna). You cannot distinguish which it is unless they give you which hand the print came from (or it is easily identifyable by having a full hand print).

Extend your arms, like you are carrying a HUGE bowl... Now pretend like you are above looking down... See the large RADIUS created by your arms and torso? A radial loop will point to the center of that radius, no matter which hand it's on...

Ulna and Universe both start with a U. All the area beyond that radius is the rest of the UNIVERSE, so if it doesn't point to the Radius, it points to ther Universe, and must be an Ulnar Loop

Corny? Yes... but it works!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
bam
State: PA

Post by bam »

my badddd.......luckily, thats not my part of the test :D sorry, poparteeb2, i was just trying to help out...my bad!!
Strath Haven High School Science Olympiad Captain 2015 - 2016

Total SO medal count 2009 - 2016: 34
EpicFailure
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure »

sweetgirl964 wrote:Hey everyone! Does anyone know if the same person who wrote last year's nationals test for crimebusters is writing it this year too?
The same event supervisor seemed to have written the test for consecutive years so the best bet would probably be that it's the same person.
purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

last years nats test was actually really good
the lab was cool too..
but it was COLD!!! and i was RIGHT by the AC
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters

Return to “2011 Lab Events”