Protein Modeling C

mathemaniac
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by mathemaniac » February 27th, 2011, 10:48 pm

I think the 2wbu file rounds it to the nearest 10, because I literally counted every amino acid on the protein (no life, only SciOly ;) ) and it came out to perfectly 85.
Former captain of the Metea Valley Varsity Science Olympiad Team.
All-time medal counter: 10
My favorite Science Olympiad accomplishment: Astronomy at Illinois States 2013 (2nd Place AA)

Columbia '17

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav » February 28th, 2011, 2:36 am

gigaboo wrote:One more question. Has everyone else realized what 5 amino acids don't matter, because the 2wbu.pdb file has a 90-long strand. I think.
Phenyl answered this question back in October. Go to page 2.

Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 » February 28th, 2011, 11:11 am

Why is there only one invitation protein test that the company made? We've had that same test like 3 times...
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
>20 Div C State Medals

barker9
State: AL

Post by barker9 » February 28th, 2011, 12:54 pm

In the picture of the klf4 protein there are 10 DNA base pairs - are we supposed to include this DNA in our pre-build model?

Gillen
State: MO

Post by Gillen » February 28th, 2011, 1:46 pm

barker9 wrote:In the picture of the klf4 protein there are 10 DNA base pairs - are we supposed to include this DNA in our pre-build model?
You don't have to, but it would definitely be a good thing to include.

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine » February 28th, 2011, 3:14 pm

starpug wrote:I found the sidechains that interact with the Zinc molecules easy enough. But how are you guys finding the sidechains that interact with the DNA molecule? Are you just playing with the protein in jmol to find those side chains?
Try looking (in a biology textbook, or online) for detailed descriptions of the different amino acids. Certain sidechains are more likely than others to be involved in interactions with other molecules, including DNA. Then try looking in Jmol at where those sidechains appear in Klf4, and you'll probably find that they're in the right place to contact the DNA.

[I think there's a good detailed description of all the different amino acids in one of the links at the bottom of the Protein Modeling Wiki.]
mathemaniac wrote:First of all, what does the Zinc Ion DO? I'm aware that it is a ligand, but what is its function?
Basically, the zinc ion allows the protein to fold much more tightly than it otherwise could. The two histidines and two cysteines all bond to the zinc ion, drawing them far closer together than they could get without a ligand there. This compact structure allows the transcription factor to get close in the DNA's major groove in order to bind to the base pairs that it regulates.

For more information about zinc fingers, try reading this.
mathemaniac wrote:Simalarly, I know that the non-polar portions of the protein are hydrophobic and the polar portions are hydrophilic, but is the final purpose of those portions of the proteins just to repel and attract water?
If you look at the polar and nonpolar portions of a protein, especially a large protein with few ligands, in Jmol, you'll probably see that the hydrophilic/polar sidechains are mainly on the outside of the protein's tertiary structure, while the hydrophobic/nonpolar ones are mainly sheltered inside. Because most proteins fold in a watery environment, the hydrophobicity or hydrophilicity of the different sidechains helps determine the tertiary structure by causing the polar ones to end up outside, where they contact the external water (and in some cases allow the protein to be water-soluble), and the nonpolar ones aggregate inside, where they do not come into contact with the water.

Beyond that, polar vs. nonpolar sections of the protein could theoretically have some purpose in a protein's interactions with other molecules; you'd have to do more specific research to find out if this is the case in Klf4, but I haven't found anything about that in my research.
Frogger4907 wrote:Why is there only one invitation protein test that the company made? We've had that same test like 3 times...
Because, like you said, the one company- the Center for Biomolecular Modeling at MSOE- makes all the tests. Most teams don't go to more than one invitational tournament, so it's not an issue most of the time. The regional tests are presumably the same in all the regions, too, and the state ones are the same in all the states.

I find it very refreshing to have the tests all made by a single group that knows the material well and can ask good questions on it; it takes the "bad/unfair event" possibility out of the equation. It also means there's a nice progression in terms of difficulty from regional to state to national level.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

gigaboo
State: UT

Post by gigaboo » February 28th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Whoa, I realized my stupidity. Thank you. For the test, will we need to know about the proteins for the flu, like it says, or will be tested more on the proteins we are doing this year?

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug » February 28th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Phenylethylamine wrote:
starpug wrote:I found the sidechains that interact with the Zinc molecules easy enough. But how are you guys finding the sidechains that interact with the DNA molecule? Are you just playing with the protein in jmol to find those side chains?
Try looking (in a biology textbook, or online) for detailed descriptions of the different amino acids. Certain sidechains are more likely than others to be involved in interactions with other molecules, including DNA. Then try looking in Jmol at where those sidechains appear in Klf4, and you'll probably find that they're in the right place to contact the DNA.

[I think there's a good detailed description of all the different amino acids in one of the links at the bottom of the Protein Modeling Wiki.]
I will be sure to check the macromolecule chapter of my Campbell's book.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine » March 1st, 2011, 5:59 pm

gigaboo wrote:For the test, will we need to know about the proteins for the flu, like it says, or will be tested more on the proteins we are doing this year?
This year's test will only be on this year's proteins (as well as general protein information, but nothing about the flu). When you say "like it says", where are you looking?
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009

gigaboo
State: UT

Post by gigaboo » March 1st, 2011, 6:01 pm

The page http://cbm.msoe.edu/includes/pdf/SO/201 ... iption.pdf which is the on-site description this year says so. So either I found something you didn't know, or I'm dumb. I'm guessing the latter as you seem to be an expert in this event.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”