Protein Modeling C

kwijiborjt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by kwijiborjt »

Yeah, especially given that it's impossible to take all subjectivity out of the model judging, I think it's best to regard your placement in this event as placing you in a range rather than a position. I've had events where five teams were separated by less than half a point (that easily could have been granted or taken away on subjective calls).
NYS/Lower Hudson Valley Protein Modeling event supervisor
Entomology 2nd and 3rd in NY state
Rocks and Minerals 5th and 6th in NY state
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

FullMetalMaple wrote: Definitely. I saw at least two instances where teams were only .01 points apart. That's incredible. Good job to everyone!
It looks like that was how they designated a tiebreaker- i.e., if two teams had the same score, the one that did better on the tiebreakers received an extra .01 point.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
kwijiborjt

Post by kwijiborjt »

Uhhh... is question #10 wrong on the 2011 national exam answer key?
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
FullMetalMaple wrote: Definitely. I saw at least two instances where teams were only .01 points apart. That's incredible. Good job to everyone!
It looks like that was how they designated a tiebreaker- i.e., if two teams had the same score, the one that did better on the tiebreakers received an extra .01 point.
That's what I thought, too.
kwijiborjt wrote:Uhhh... is question #10 wrong on the 2011 national exam answer key?
...Yes, I think it is. It's induced pluripotent stem cells that can't produce trophoblast and placenta, whereas totipotent can. Shouldn't it be A instead of D? The same question was on the regional test, with the answer choices in the same order, and the correct answer is A there.

Otherwise, the test looked great. Again, I wish I could have been at nationals.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

After seeing my prebuild score (35.75/40) on that spreadsheet, I assumed that I must not have gotten credit for some creative additions... but having read the rubric, I had literally every one of the creative additions specifically mentioned. I really have no idea where I lost that many points, especially since the checklist for the secondary and tertiary structure sounds almost exactly like what I myself did at home before competition. I can only guess that maybe I lost points if they didn't feel my extra creative additions (not mentioned in the rubric) were sufficiently related to the function of the protein? I could see a half- or quarter- point here or there, but I can't figure out how I lost 4.25 points.

Oh well. I'll be posting photos of my model and card in the image gallery as soon as I get around to actually taking said photos.
--
kwijiborjt

Post by kwijiborjt »

Is it possible that you made mistakes on your creative additions? I didn't give credit for some additions if their explanations suggested that competitors knew the right words but not what the concept actually meant. Often there are errors in modeling too (docking the protein in DNA that is way off scale, docking it transverse rather than in a groove, failing to display a major and minor groove, placing the zinc ions in the wrong area, showing residues pointing the wrong way or positioned in the wrong place on the backbone, etc.).
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

kwijiborjt wrote:Is it possible that you made mistakes on your creative additions? I didn't give credit for some additions if their explanations suggested that competitors knew the right words but not what the concept actually meant. Often there are errors in modeling too (docking the protein in DNA that is way off scale, docking it transverse rather than in a groove, failing to display a major and minor groove, placing the zinc ions in the wrong area, showing residues pointing the wrong way or positioned in the wrong place on the backbone, etc.).
Well, you've seen my model. The protein was clearly correctly placed relative to the DNA, and I adjusted it post-States to be more to scale (not that it was very far off to begin with). I made sure that I understood the function of all the sidechains I modeled, and was very careful to position them according to the Jmol structure.

While I suppose it's possible that I made mistakes in some of my creative additions, I can't find any such mistakes.
--
kwijiborjt

Post by kwijiborjt »

Hmm... i don't know then. There are so many places for slight deductions. But if you model with that level of specificity you'll do very well on *my* exam next year :)
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

kwijiborjt wrote:Hmm... i don't know then. There are so many places for slight deductions. But if you model with that level of specificity you'll do very well on *my* exam next year :)
OK, I'll take the bait. Any hints on what would be good to study over the summer and into next year? *crosses fingers*
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

butter side up wrote:
kwijiborjt wrote:Hmm... i don't know then. There are so many places for slight deductions. But if you model with that level of specificity you'll do very well on *my* exam next year :)
OK, I'll take the bait. Any hints on what would be good to study over the summer and into next year? *crosses fingers*
Probably what they already have up on the website: Apoptosis and the specific proteins. There is also a short documentary about the disease that one of the proteins (XIAP) can cause, so you could watch that as well.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2011 Lab Events”