Write It Do It B/C

mateskid12
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by mateskid12 » February 8th, 2011, 3:59 pm

say you have legos in the event- does the color of each lego matter or can you just use any color as long as it's the same size?

Teal
State: WA

Post by Teal » February 8th, 2011, 4:15 pm

mateskid12 wrote:say you have legos in the event- does the color of each lego matter or can you just use any color as long as it's the same size?
Not sure what you're asking, or whether you're talking about writing or building ... but color counts. It always counts, unless your entire object is one color. The graders wouldn't think you'd have the lego in the right place anyways, since they're looking for a specific color.
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » February 8th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Color matters. If you run out of a color when building, either you did something wrong or the supervisors did, check twice to make sure it wasn't your fault and then ask the supervisor if you can use more of a certain color.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

redreading249
Division: B
State: MA

Post by redreading249 » February 8th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Hi Guys!

I have seen a few asking what structures we got at competitions. At the Massachusetts States competition last year, we got 4 small paper cups, pins, coffee stirrers, and a tray. They were assembled so that the pins were under the base of the tray. So I would pay attention to little things like that..

At the national competition, it was one big paper cup with straws, pins, pipe cleaners, pom-poms, paper clips, toothpicks, and all of the above. It was a mess! Be as specific as possible! My parter and I ended up getting 2nd place at nationals in WIDI B Division last year!

Good luck this year guys!
A.W. Coolidge Middle School ~ MA Science Olympiad 2010
Nationals 2010
Fossils - 20th
Wright Stuff - 25th
Write It Do It - 2nd
Overall - 16th

Fossils - 1st @ States
Wright Stuff - 2nd @ States
Write It Do It - 1st @ States

Teal

Post by Teal » February 8th, 2011, 5:47 pm

We've never gotten to state (sad, yes), but the two invites my team's been to two invites so far. The first time, we had about 40 see-through colored stickers of two sizes and three colors placed on a 8.5x11 piece of paper. That one killed us (we took 4th, though. What a joke.) Second one was: forks, yarn, notecards, and straws. I tend to find standing structures a little bit easier than stuff on paper.

The thing about my partner and I is that we have the same train of thought, and speak the same way. But yes, be specific as possible. :) One of my problems is that I'm too specific sometimes and always feel like I'm rushing to finish. The other thing is, I hate abbreviations. Any tips?

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 » February 8th, 2011, 6:17 pm

My partner and I are having a bit of trouble this year. We know each other really REALLY well, but can't read each others minds and often don't think in the same terms.

I am a bit lost because last year I had a partner who has the same train of thought as me and could easily pick up on what I am saying, reading between the lines in addition. (We placed fourth only because he dropped it at the last second, DARN :? ) I am not used to having trouble writing my instructions and getting my message across. Any tips for the two of us?
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Teal

Post by Teal » February 8th, 2011, 6:57 pm

aubrey048 wrote:My partner and I are having a bit of trouble this year. We know each other really REALLY well, but can't read each others minds and often don't think in the same terms.

I am a bit lost because last year I had a partner who has the same train of thought as me and could easily pick up on what I am saying, reading between the lines in addition. (We placed fourth only because he dropped it at the last second, DARN :? ) I am not used to having trouble writing my instructions and getting my message across. Any tips for the two of us?
I'm nowhere near nat-level with WIDI, but may I suggest doing a practice in which you're speaking your directions? I found just doing one with my partner made communication 100x easier. If you two do well with spoken directions, try to translate that to paper. I think the reason why my partner and I do well invite-level is because I write the same way I speak.

You could both try writing for the same thing, and compare your instructions. You might be able to figure out her train of thought, which in return will help you write your instructions.

Just some thoughts.

Modder
State: MI

Post by Modder » February 15th, 2011, 12:48 pm

This past weekend was intense for WIDI. We had to make pennies suspend within pipe cleaners stuck in styrofoam. If anyone else reading this was at the Frankenmuth Invitational, what did you think of that one?

zorbsthekitty
Division: B
State: NY

Post by zorbsthekitty » February 15th, 2011, 1:30 pm

my advice is when u mess up, it may be ur fault. My partner and i went through it orally and I watched as she did it so i saw which steps where unclear. Good luck
is that crosshatching I detect?

aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 » February 15th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Yeah, practice makes perfect. We figured out that I was still a tad better as the writer, but through diligence and practice we have improved by leaps and bounds. I suggest to everyone that you and your partner PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. It's the only way to get good at this event.
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).

Return to “2011 Lab Events”