QuantumLeaper
Division: C
State: RI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by QuantumLeaper »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
Sherry Berry wrote:I wish I had done that with the gummy bear...
Also, there's a website that gives you the name of each K'Nex part: http://www.balmoralsoftware.com/knex/pieces/pieces.htm
But I usually just call the round connectors "snowflakes," and "half snowflakes," or "quarter snowflakes," etc. instead of connectors, which is what I call the orange connectors. They actually connect two things. Next year, though, I think I might try using North, East, South, West directions.
I used the snowflakes designation for a while, but it takes a really long time to write out "half-snowflake" repeatedly (of course, I could have just abbreviated it, but I never figured out an intuitive way to do that, so it took me almost as long to remember to use the abbreviation as it did to just write the word out). I eventually switched to just saying "8-slot" or "4-slot" or "2-slot", leaving "connector" or "snowflake" implied, and only specifying the color if it was ambiguous otherwise (e.g., "purple 4-slot" vs. "green 4-slot").
That's a really good strategy. Hopefully they'll put me in WIDI next year. What's funny is that my partner and I practiced with K'Nex pieces and they gave us a structure made up of completely random things. Oh well, it happens. :)
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Gemma W
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Gemma W »

Yeah, it's important to practice with a bunch of different materials. For knex I usually refer to them as circles, even when they are only part circles, and then use N,S,E,W directions. Sometimes I just say "piece" but it is obvious that I mean the connectors when I am talking about slots.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
Sherry Berry
Division: B
State: MO

Post by Sherry Berry »

The tryouts for the school team was random materials, and my partner got the whole thing right...except backwards. I forgot to tell her which way to put the materials, so she put everything flipped. We still got WIDI, though :)
But last year they used K'Nex, so we expected them to use K'Nex this year. We even spent an entire meeting discussing what we should call each part and how we should figure out where to put them. For some reason, the N/E/S/W thing never occured to either one of us.
And then they gave us a structure made of cups and gummy bears and pipecleaners and beads. Wonderful surprise.
Next year, I will DEFINITELY practice with all sorts of materials.
"No man can resist these lumps."
personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

Sherry Berry wrote:The tryouts for the school team was random materials, and my partner got the whole thing right...except backwards. I forgot to tell her which way to put the materials, so she put everything flipped. We still got WIDI, though :)
But last year they used K'Nex, so we expected them to use K'Nex this year. We even spent an entire meeting discussing what we should call each part and how we should figure out where to put them. For some reason, the N/E/S/W thing never occured to either one of us.
And then they gave us a structure made of cups and gummy bears and pipecleaners and beads. Wonderful surprise.
The rules request that the proctors NOT use whatever they used in the previous competition. So New Yorkers, don't even practice with k'nex next year.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

personasaurus rex wrote:
Sherry Berry wrote:The tryouts for the school team was random materials, and my partner got the whole thing right...except backwards. I forgot to tell her which way to put the materials, so she put everything flipped. We still got WIDI, though :)
The rules request that the proctors NOT use whatever they used in the previous competition. So New Yorkers, don't even practice with k'nex next year.
...Except that despite that clause in the rules, proctors love to reuse materials, because it's easier for them.

So practice with everything, wherever you are.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I want to do this event next year, and I (think that I'm) good at writing directions and building based on directions. But it depends on you and your partner. When I did this for a tryout, my partner drew non-typable images. So, do you know of any ways to train your partner for the event? (Or to practice in general)

Thanks!
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

The Write It Do It Wiki has some good ideas (and if it doesn't someone should seriously add them). And I'll bet it's been touched on before in the thread. And it sounds like you're good at both, so if your partner can't do writing well, have them be builder.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

I got put on this event in the last minute...
hated it
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

zyzzyva98 wrote:The Write It Do It Wiki has some good ideas (and if it doesn't someone should seriously add them). And I'll bet it's been touched on before in the thread. And it sounds like you're good at both, so if your partner can't do writing well, have them be builder.
Thank you z. This will really come in handy when I'm finally on varsity next year!
(P.S. - I hope my partner won't suck! :P )
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
FueL

Post by FueL »

Cheesy Pie wrote:I want to do this event next year, and I (think that I'm) good at writing directions and building based on directions. But it depends on you and your partner. When I did this for a tryout, my partner drew non-typable images. So, do you know of any ways to train your partner for the event? (Or to practice in general)

Thanks!
It's in the wiki page, but I highly recommend doing a few oral widis. They helped my partner and me a ton.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”