Write It Do It B/C

personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by personasaurus rex »

yogoperson wrote:Has anyone seen the NY or Ohio WIDI? I want to see an example to know what I'm going to be up against. A previous National WIDI would be nice, too.
I did the NY C WIDI, which, from what I heard, was similar to the B WIDI.
It was all kinex, about 15 pieces, and it was an upright structure that was EXTREMELY hard to balance but rested on two joints and connected with the sticks. Small, but somewhat complicated.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
Gemma W
Division: Grad

Post by Gemma W »

The NY B widi was also knex, about ten pieces, and very tight in on itself. Quite easy.

As for strategies for decreasing time:
Don't write in complete sentences
Don't worry about grammar
Don't skip around on the structure, start in a logical place and move outward/away.
Don't give heavy explanations unless you have time at the end, then go back and add stuff.
2015 events: WIDI, Protein Modeling, Geomapping, Chem Lab

2014 events: WIDI, Geomapping, Materials Science, Food Science
2013 events: WIDI, Mousetrap Vehicle, Heredity, Food Science, Metric Mastery

Best ever place: Nationals, 3rd in WIDI
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

yogoperson wrote:Has anyone seen the NY or Ohio WIDI? I want to see an example to know what I'm going to be up against. A previous National WIDI would be nice, too.
The national WIDI for C division last year was weird. It was a bunch of pieces of pipes stuck together with binder clips and note cards. It was also really hard to balance... It was hard to tell how much the pipes were stuck into each other and some joints weren't seen when describing, so building was a pain. For some reason I did writing at states and then doing at nationals; we did great at states (we had a tinker-toy grid thing with sticks of differing lengths stuck into it and then different pieces stuck onto those pieces with paper clips, rubberbands, and straws for a grand total of about 30 pieces), but then failed at nationals...
Gemma W

Post by Gemma W »

My partner and I are having difficulty with random junk (she can't understand my instructions). Any tips besides going over it and working out wording and such?

The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

Honestly, the only thing you can do with random junk is describe the pieces really well, so that your partner knows what piece you're talking about and what part of the piece goes where on the structure. You can only hope that the other teams are having just as hard a time.
Gemma W

Post by Gemma W »

Yeah, we've only practiced a few times because my partner prefers to focus on our other event...hopefully we will improve with practice.

QuantumLeaper
State: RI

Post by QuantumLeaper »

Gemma W wrote:My partner and I are having difficulty with random junk (she can't understand my instructions). Any tips besides going over it and working out wording and such?
My partner and I have this same problem. In one of our practice sessions we had different ideas of what a certain word was referring to in the instructions and that completely messed up the structure. I think we just need more time working together, but agreeing on what certain terms mean beforehand will help as well (I hope :roll: ). The rules concerning abbreviation freak me out and cause me to waste space during a write, but I think it'll get better with practice.
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Gemma W

Post by Gemma W »

Yeah, we are still having some problems with terminology, things that I thought we went over but my partner didn't remember, but we are improving. Our main problem is time. My partner takes about twice the time given to build. Hopefully that will improve at competition where there will be fewer distractions, since a fair amount of that time is spent staring into space or looking at what other people are doing.

yogoperson
State: CA

Post by yogoperson »

Thanks you guys. ^^

Does orientation matter in WIDI? The ones I was up against really didn't leave choice, so...
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.
googlyfrog
State: PA

Post by googlyfrog »