Experimental Design B/C

JenJscasd
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by JenJscasd »

Does anyone know what materials we're allowed to bring for Experimental Design? I know non-graphing calculators are ok and googles are required, but what else? I don't remember seeing a list in the rules.
Liv
State: NY

Post by Liv »

JenJscasd wrote:Does anyone know what materials we're allowed to bring for Experimental Design? I know non-graphing calculators are ok and googles are required, but what else? I don't remember seeing a list in the rules.

I'm pretty sure it says the items you are allowed to bring on the top of the rule sheet, since that is where I am getting this list from, ANSI Z87 indirect vent chemical splash goggles, writing instrument(s), timepiece, ruler, and a non-programmable calculator.
EpicFailure
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure »

Does anyone know the 1st place National B Division's raw score for Exp. Design? What would be the cut-off score for top 6?
havenguy
Division: Grad

Post by havenguy »

tweety wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:
havenguy wrote:Do you have to use all the materials? If you do, we lost a couple points on our states test for that.
What experiment did you do? We made the paper helicopter, dropped it from 1 meter and timed it, then changed the # of paperclips attached. We got 2nd.

I thought it was strange that they used time as a tiebreaker, but that probably helped my team a lot since we got done pretty quickly.
No we didn't have to use all materials because we didn't and we got 1st. it took us til almost the end, we had like 5 minutes left but the team we had to share a table with was really confused and we weren't so we felt pretty good about that, and I heard that the first place team (us) was only like 3 points away from 10th place so it was a close race.
Oh, if 10th place was only 3 points away from 1st, that makes me feel a lot better. We thought we had screwed up a lot (we got 15th) but I'm sure the top 20 teams were all within 10-15 points of each other.

Anyway, I thought that experiment was way to easy. I'm willing to bet that if the experiment was on something harder, the placements would be very different.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
tweety
Division: B

Post by tweety »

Ya, they only reason I know that is bc the event supervisors were from my school. I can ask them if they remember how far off you were and post it tomorrow if you would like that or I could personally email it to you if you dont want that to be on here.
regionals 2011 events: ornithology ecology experimental design
states 2011 events: ornithology ecology experimental design write it do it
Ornithology: BAD Ecology: 2, Experimental design:1, write-it-do-it BAD
tweety

Post by tweety »

And...sorry for the double post....but the experiment has nothing, honestly, to do with it...its all in the way you write it up.
Liv
State: NY

Post by Liv »

tweety wrote:And...sorry for the double post....but the experiment has nothing, honestly, to do with it...its all in the way you write it up.

Umm no.

The experiment has a lot to do with your overall score, if your experiment is untestable to total BS, don't even try doing the experiment.
tweety

Post by tweety »

One of the supervisors said that one of the teams was doing the experiment comletely wrong and they still did fairly well. :twisted: :evil:
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

tweety wrote:One of the supervisors said that one of the teams was doing the experiment comletely wrong and they still did fairly well. :twisted: :evil:
I don't think there's a 'right' experiment in any competition – there may be sets of materials that suggest certain experiments, but you're technically allowed to do whatever you want with the materials provided to you.

How do you define "fairly well"? Top 5, top 10?
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
tweety

Post by tweety »

Like top ten...maybe 15 but it was really off of what the experiment was supposed to be about...but it wasn't because of the experiment it was because of the write-up not the experiment

Return to “2011 Lab Events”