Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Experimental Design B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Experimental Design B/C

Experimental Design Wiki
2010 Lab Event Thread
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
JustDroobles
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by JustDroobles »

Is it likely that there will be any changes to this event's rules or changes to the rubric? Is there anything in the rules or 2010 rubric that anyone would want changed?
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I hope they don't change anything, but I can't think of anything they would change from last year.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
FueL
Division: C
State: NY

Post by FueL »

Yeah, the rules have pretty much stayed constant over the years I've been in SciO.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
packer-backer91
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 »

JustDroobles wrote:Is it likely that there will be any changes to this event's rules or changes to the rubric? Is there anything in the rules or 2010 rubric that anyone would want changed?

In the 6 years that I did the event the real only change on the rules was the little picture. In fact even before I did the event I was cleaning my teacher’s back room and found some of the old try out events from 2004 and they had the same rubric as used today. My brother did the event in Middle school in 2001/2 and nothing has changed too much. It's very unlikely they would change the rules of this event because there are so many experiments that can be done.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

packer-backer91 wrote:
JustDroobles wrote:Is it likely that there will be any changes to this event's rules or changes to the rubric? Is there anything in the rules or 2010 rubric that anyone would want changed?

In the 6 years that I did the event the real only change on the rules was the little picture. In fact even before I did the event I was cleaning my teacher’s back room and found some of the old try out events from 2004 and they had the same rubric as used today. My brother did the event in Middle school in 2001/2 and nothing has changed too much. It's very unlikely they would change the rules of this event because there are so many experiments that can be done.
I know at some point they changed the rules so that supervisors were not just recommended but required to give a specific topic for the experiment, and not just materials. Apart from that, though, I don't think anything has changed, and I doubt anything else will.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Wasn't the National test for this event last year up on the internet? Any chance it will happen again?
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

paleonaps95 wrote:Wasn't the National test for this event last year up on the internet? Any chance it will happen again?
The test never showed up, but people here on scioly explained what is was.

The 2009 C topic involved static electricity. You were given various fabrics and allowed to go at it.
The 2010 B topic was placing snacks in iodine.
The 2010 C topic involved resting heart rate and active heart rate. You were only allowed a stop watch and your own bodies.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

I heard that the B test caused some allergy problems, right?
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Yep. One of the snacks they gave teams had peanuts. And one kid had a severe peanut allergy and was forced to leave. It was a pretty big oversight by the national coordinators for the event.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”