Experimental Design B/C

Paleomaniac
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Paleomaniac »

RBears6 wrote:Could anybody that has already had their state tell me what kind of experiment they had? Was it a chemistry or was it a physics experiment?
Any Tips would help!!!!
For NorCal State, we had a density lab and we were given a cup, water, sugar, different balls of different sizes, and a graduated cylinder.
2015 events: Experimental Design, Fossils, Technical Problem Solving
Event Experience: Ornithology, Fossils, Experimental Design, Anatomy, Storm the Castle, Remote Sensing, Thermodynamics, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Forensics, Anatomy and Physiology
Paleofreakazoid
Division: Grad
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

Paleomaniac wrote:
RBears6 wrote:Could anybody that has already had their state tell me what kind of experiment they had? Was it a chemistry or was it a physics experiment?
Any Tips would help!!!!
For NorCal State, we had a density lab and we were given a cup, water, sugar, different balls of different sizes, and a graduated cylinder.
Which in itself was a bad lab because the IV was derived (it had to be density)...but still, I suppose you have to be prepared for anything they throw at you
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

What does the rubric expect for "A rationale is given for the hypothesis"? How are we supposed to explain our hypothesis if it's just an educated guess?

Edit: Another question. How is the 'experimental control' in #4 different than the controlled variable (CV) in #3?
Edit: Forget that last question; thank you quizbowl for helping me.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by nejanimb »

If it's an educated guess, what's educate about it? Put that. Come up with the best possible explanation you can of why you picked it, even if it's as bad as "predicted a simple direct linear relationship because that is the most common relationship found, and absent any information to make a better guess, we went with that." or something.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Do you have to use all the materials? If you do, we lost a couple points on our states test for that.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

havenguy wrote:Do you have to use all the materials? If you do, we lost a couple points on our states test for that.
What experiment did you do? We made the paper helicopter, dropped it from 1 meter and timed it, then changed the # of paperclips attached. We got 2nd.

I thought it was strange that they used time as a tiebreaker, but that probably helped my team a lot since we got done pretty quickly.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

havenguy wrote:Do you have to use all the materials? If you do, we lost a couple points on our states test for that.
No. According to the rules, you only have to use a minimum of two of the given materials.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
tweety
Division: B

Post by tweety »

amerikestrel wrote:
What experiment did you do? We made the paper helicopter, dropped it from 1 meter and timed it, then changed the # of paperclips attached. We got 2nd.

I thought it was strange that they used time as a tiebreaker, but that probably helped my team a lot since we got done pretty quickly.
No we didn't have to use all materials because we didn't and we got 1st. it took us til almost the end, we had like 5 minutes left but the team we had to share a table with was really confused and we weren't so we felt pretty good about that, and I heard that the first place team (us) was only like 3 points away from 10th place so it was a close race.
regionals 2011 events: ornithology ecology experimental design
states 2011 events: ornithology ecology experimental design write it do it
Ornithology: BAD Ecology: 2, Experimental design:1, write-it-do-it BAD
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by amerikestrel »

tweety wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:

No we didn't have to use all materials because we didn't and we got 1st. it took us til almost the end, we had like 5 minutes left but the team we had to share a table with was really confused and we weren't so we felt pretty good about that, and I heard that the first place team (us) was only like 3 points away from 10th place so it was a close race.
Wow. What school are you from?
tweety
Division: B

Post by tweety »

Charles Huston Middle School
regionals 2011 events: ornithology ecology experimental design
states 2011 events: ornithology ecology experimental design write it do it
Ornithology: BAD Ecology: 2, Experimental design:1, write-it-do-it BAD