Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Optics B/C

Post by Infinity Flat »

chalker wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:Chalker, can you talk at all about what changes you've made to the laser shoot for next year?
The biggest TENTATIVE fundamental changes are allowing for more mirrors and barriers and removing time as a scoring factor. There are lots of other incremental changes as well, but those mainly reinforce the spirit of the rules or the clarifications that were issued this year.
Ah, very cool. I personally was in favor of the idea posted a while back where the proctors could designate areas that the mirrors couldn't be placed, but the additional mirrors one sounds pretty good as well.
Would one of the "incremental changes" be forbidding the use of templates, perhaps?
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Sunshine Ninja
Division: B
State: NC

Post by Sunshine Ninja »

Infinity Flat wrote:
chalker wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:Chalker, can you talk at all about what changes you've made to the laser shoot for next year?
The biggest TENTATIVE fundamental changes are allowing for more mirrors and barriers and removing time as a scoring factor. There are lots of other incremental changes as well, but those mainly reinforce the spirit of the rules or the clarifications that were issued this year.
Ah, very cool. I personally was in favor of the idea posted a while back where the proctors could designate areas that the mirrors couldn't be placed, but the additional mirrors one sounds pretty good as well.
Would one of the "incremental changes" be forbidding the use of templates, perhaps?

Mabby this was just in nc, but weren't they already forbidden??? :?
My team was going to use a template and didn't for that reason.
2012 stats:
Mousetrap vehicle: reg. 4th,
Heredity: reg. 2nd,
Forestry: reg.1st :),
Team: reg. 1st!!!,

Past events: Ornithology (2), Food science, Elevated bridge, Optics, Junkyard Challenge

States in two days....kill me now
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

Sunshine Ninja wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
chalker wrote:\

Mabby this was just in nc, but weren't they already forbidden??? :?
My team was going to use a template and didn't for that reason.
The national clarification was that templates were allowed, but state directors were given the option of deciding for themselves within their own state.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Infinity Flat wrote: The national clarification was that templates were allowed, but state directors were given the option of deciding for themselves within their own state.
The draft rules for next year allow any tool, including templates. We feel we've changed the core problem such that templates really aren't going to give anyone a major advantage.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

/me high fives Chalker!
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

Do you think a binder will still be used? Really, besides a few indices of refraction and other constants, most things don't need a binder.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

quizbowl wrote:Do you think a binder will still be used? Really, besides a few indices of refraction and other constants, most things don't need a binder.
Why don't you take a look at the exam I gave at nationals (http://scioly.org/w/images/5/5d/Optics_ ... xam_11.pdf) and see how many of the questions you can get without a binder.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

chalker wrote:
quizbowl wrote:Do you think a binder will still be used? Really, besides a few indices of refraction and other constants, most things don't need a binder.
Why don't you take a look at the exam I gave at nationals (http://scioly.org/w/images/5/5d/Optics_ ... xam_11.pdf) and see how many of the questions you can get without a binder.
I'm not saying completely get rid of a binder - maybe just a few sheets are necessary.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

quizbowl wrote:
chalker wrote:
I'm not saying completely get rid of a binder - maybe just a few sheets are necessary.
To be honest, you can probably contain a binder's worth of information on a set of 5 sheets. It's just a lot harder to read. :P
(State, Nationals)
Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee »

Chalker, is there an answer key to that?
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI

Return to “2011 Lab Events”