Optics B/C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Optics B/C

Post by chalker »

Bogoradwee wrote:Chalker, is there an answer key to that?
I have a policy of not giving out the answer key to my tests. The reason I make them available is to help study and prepare for future events. If I made the key available most people would just skim through it, instead of actually trying to solve the problems and learning from the process. That said, if there is some ambiguity or uncertainty over a specific question, I'm happy to answer specific queries.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Infinity Flat wrote: To be honest, you can probably contain a binder's worth of information on a set of 5 sheets. It's just a lot harder to read. :P
Many events in the past used to have various specs such as only 5 sheets, or only an 1 inch binder, etc etc. The problem we consistently ran into is students trying to cram more and more into that spec and event supervisors interpreting things differently. For example, is it a 1 inch binder when compressed closed? Likewise can you use microscopic print and a magnifying glass? Thus the general rules now are either any size binder, 1 sheet of paper, or no notes.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by geekychic13 »

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Yeahhhhhhhhhh, so I'm going to do optics this year for the first time (this is my second year in s.o., but I didn't do this last year), and I have no idea how to prepare, study, make notes, find resources, what to study, ect. Suggestions? (please, please, please, please help... )
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Yeahhhhhhhhhh, so I'm going to do optics this year for the first time (this is my second year in s.o., but I didn't do this last year), and I have no idea how to prepare, study, make notes, find resources, what to study, ect. Suggestions? (please, please, please, please help... )
First, see if you can get a copy of the rules from this past year to see what things you need to know and study. Make a trip to the library and see if they have any general physics textbooks, as those tend to have a few chapters on the subject, and should cover most of what you need to know.

Another resource that I strongly recommend ishttp://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/. It has 4 good, long chapters that are relevant to the competition: "Waves," "Light Waves and Color," "Reflection and Ray Model of Light," and "Refraction and Ray Model of Light."

For the Laser Shoot, I'd wait until the rules come out for this coming year, as that is supposed to be significantly different. Once the rules due come out, one of the best things to do is build one of the laser boxes yourself so that you can practice on it.

Best of luck!
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
geekychic13

Post by geekychic13 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
First, see if you can get a copy of the rules from this past year to see what things you need to know and study. Make a trip to the library and see if they have any general physics textbooks, as those tend to have a few chapters on the subject, and should cover most of what you need to know.

Another resource that I strongly recommend ishttp://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/. It has 4 good, long chapters that are relevant to the competition: "Waves," "Light Waves and Color," "Reflection and Ray Model of Light," and "Refraction and Ray Model of Light."

For the Laser Shoot, I'd wait until the rules come out for this coming year, as that is supposed to be significantly different. Once the rules due come out, one of the best things to do is build one of the laser boxes yourself so that you can practice on it.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much! You are ever so kind! :D lol
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
And everything you do

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:

Best of luck!
Thank you so much! You are ever so kind! :D lol
I'm glad to help. Also, I forgot to mention, look at the community wiki for the event, here: http://scioly.org/wiki/Optics. It's really useful for getting an idea about some of the topics the event covers. Additionally, once you've got a feel for the event, head over to the test exchange, here: http://scioly.org/wiki/Test_Exchange#Optics , to do some practice tests with your partner. There aren't many right now, but I'm going to try and have another one up in a couple weeks.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
geekychic13

Post by geekychic13 »

awesome!
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
And everything you do

-Yellow, by Coldplay
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

The Science Olympiad event page (http://soinc.org/optics_b) has a lot of good information and lots of handouts for resources and reference. They also have a whole BYU optics book for download.

Please note: These are last year's resources. Next year's rules are subject to change.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
geekychic13

Post by geekychic13 »

thanks everyone is amazing if they r smarter than me apparently :)
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
And everything you do

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:thanks everyone is amazing if they r smarter than me apparently :)
No - just more experienced!
(State, Nationals)

Return to “2011 Lab Events”