Optics B/C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Optics B/C

Post by chalker » March 30th, 2011, 2:55 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote: There's nothing in the rules that really suggests that they should be allowed, anyway.
Everyone tends to forget about (or ignore) the General Rules that apply to all events (which are mentioned at the top of EVERY page in the rules manual and are listed on the inside back cover). The General Rules are also available at: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

Please note in particular #2: "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not excluded, then they are permitted unless they violate the spirit of the problem."

That rule guides a lot of the responses we generate to questions submitted on soinc.org, and is a big part of why templates are allowed this year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav » March 31st, 2011, 6:05 am

chalker wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote: There's nothing in the rules that really suggests that they should be allowed, anyway.
Everyone tends to forget about (or ignore) the General Rules that apply to all events (which are mentioned at the top of EVERY page in the rules manual and are listed on the inside back cover). The General Rules are also available at: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

Please note in particular #2: "Unless otherwise stated, it is generally understood that if notes, resources, calculators, actions, etc., are not excluded, then they are permitted unless they violate the spirit of the problem."

That rule guides a lot of the responses we generate to questions submitted on soinc.org, and is a big part of why templates are allowed this year.
In this case, though, I strongly suspect that the event writers intended the 2.b materials for use in parts 1 and 2 only. Otherwise, why have two separate lists of materials?

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » March 31st, 2011, 10:00 am

Flavorflav wrote: In this case, though, I strongly suspect that the event writers intended the 2.b materials for use in parts 1 and 2 only. Otherwise, why have two separate lists of materials?
As one of the people who made significant revisions to the rules last year, I can assure you this was not the intention. We were just following the standard SO 'template' with that section.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

coach green
State: PA

Post by coach green » April 2nd, 2011, 7:04 pm

As a coach I wanted my team to learn something useful for this event. I taught them to draw their angles, bisect them, and draw the perpendicular line to place the mirror accurately. At regionals they were .2 cm from the target although the laser dot was .5 cm so measurement accuracy is questionable. Accurate placement takes time and we learned that even if the questions are so hard the rest of the teams walk out without answering them, the team that throws the mirror down the fastest no accuracy required wins the event. Sadly that for states I will advise my team forget the technical aspect of laser alignment. I will have them throw the mirror down as fast as possible ignoring accuracy as the scoring is so dependent on speed.

Next year, please reduce the value placed on time and increase the value placed accuracy. Also, there is plenty of optics material to test on or include in station labs. Please lower the value placed on aligning the laser to allow students to be exposed to more material.

Coach Green

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 3rd, 2011, 10:04 am

I concur with the previous statement; at states we were the only team that stayed the entire time period in our section. From my figuring, I think only one other team might have actually finished the test. The rest left way too early to have finished the test. We took our time, and our confident that we got nearly every answer correctly (though I don't actually know if we did).

At the laser shoot, we took about a minute to set up, and part of the laser hit square on the target. Then we realized that the main part of the laser hit the side of the mirror. So we got marked for a 300. Yeah, it's our fault that we missed the target, but we still got 11th (either that or 13th, can't remember). The test should really count for more. If we did as well on the test as we thought, (which we very well might not have), our laser mishap shouldn't have knocked us down that far.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Zest
Division: B

Post by Zest » April 3rd, 2011, 6:10 pm

chalker wrote:

so, if I'm interpreting this correctly, you are able to bring anything that is not forbidden even if it is not listed?
if this is true, then what type of template is being reffered to? I've just been using rulers and protracters to complete the laser shoot.

Zest

Post by Zest » April 3rd, 2011, 6:16 pm

Does anyone have any practice tests?

Is the formula to find frequency wavespeed/wavelength or 1/cycle duration, or both?

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 3rd, 2011, 6:26 pm

There is actually a rules clarification on templates in Optics. I dislike the loose construction of the S.O. "constitution", but I suppose it's what they feel is best.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

JustDroobles
State: MI

Post by JustDroobles » April 3rd, 2011, 6:28 pm

Zest wrote:Is the formula to find frequency wavespeed/wavelength or 1/cycle duration, or both?
Yes.

For all waves, where v is velocity (or as you said, wavespeed), f is frequency, λ is wavelength, and T is period (or as you said "cycle duration"):

v=fλ

f=1/T

Zest

Post by Zest » April 4th, 2011, 5:19 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:There is actually a rules clarification on templates in Optics. I dislike the loose construction of the S.O. "constitution", but I suppose it's what they feel is best.
Do you know where I can find the clarification?

Return to “2011 Lab Events”