Optics B/C

googlyfrog
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Optics B/C

Post by googlyfrog » April 13th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Nevermind, I think this was a separate answer using 3 x 10 ^8 m/s for C instead of 2.99 x 10^8. It was separated with a hyphen that I thought was a subtraction sign.

tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » April 14th, 2011, 8:37 am

coach green wrote:As a coach I wanted my team to learn something useful for this event. I taught them to draw their angles, bisect them, and draw the perpendicular line to place the mirror accurately. At regionals they were .2 cm from the target although the laser dot was .5 cm so measurement accuracy is questionable. Accurate placement takes time and we learned that even if the questions are so hard the rest of the teams walk out without answering them, the team that throws the mirror down the fastest no accuracy required wins the event. Sadly that for states I will advise my team forget the technical aspect of laser alignment. I will have them throw the mirror down as fast as possible ignoring accuracy as the scoring is so dependent on speed.

Next year, please reduce the value placed on time and increase the value placed accuracy. Also, there is plenty of optics material to test on or include in station labs. Please lower the value placed on aligning the laser to allow students to be exposed to more material.

Coach Green
??? can someone clarify this??
peter, peter, peter

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » April 14th, 2011, 11:29 am

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote: ??? can someone clarify this??
What exactly do you want clarified? That whole comment was just some general observations and suggestions for next year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » April 14th, 2011, 2:22 pm

so can someone like simplify it for me?? i have state on saturday and im FREAKING OUT about the lss part.....so that just confused me even more.....
peter, peter, peter

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Post by Schrodingerscat » April 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:so can someone like simplify it for me?? i have state on saturday and im FREAKING OUT about the lss part.....so that just confused me even more.....
What is it that confused you?

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » April 14th, 2011, 3:25 pm

does accuracy matter more or does speed matter more??? like would it be better to get a few mm off and get it under like 30 sec or like right on the dot and like 45 sec...??
peter, peter, peter

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » April 14th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Accuracy counts three times as much as speed, if I'm not mistaken... I would NOT recommend throwing down the mirrors, it's too easy to get a +300.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Schrodingerscat » April 14th, 2011, 5:08 pm

1 centimeter of additional accuracy is equivalent to 30 seconds of time. If by spending 15 seconds more in time, you can gain 7 millimeters of accuracy (for example) it is worth spending those 15 seconds. However, if from your experience it would only give you 3 millimeters of additional accuracy, you would have gotten a slightly higher score to not take those additional 15 seconds.

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » April 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm

thank you! so i would rather get it like 2 mm off and spend like 45 sec instead of 30 sec with 5mm off?? thank you!
peter, peter, peter

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Schrodingerscat » April 14th, 2011, 7:47 pm

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:thank you! so i would rather get it like 2 mm off and spend like 45 sec instead of 30 sec with 5mm off?? thank you!
45 seconds and 2 mm comes out to 38.3/40.
30 seconds and 5 mm comes out to 38.5/40.

You are only gaining 3 mm for 15 seconds in the above example, so although it would likely not be very significant, it is slightly to your advantage to not spend those 15 seconds in that case.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”