Shock Value B

Singh1997
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shock Value B

Post by Singh1997 »

Hey guys, states is coming up on the weekend, and I'm wondering what practicals you have seen. I got first at regionals in this event, but that was with the hardest question being a lemon battery. For the lab part, we simply had to make snap circuits, and at invitational, we had to make an electromagnet. What other things have you guys done, especially at the state level? If we have to make circuits, do we have to use circuitboards, or do we just connect components with alligator clips?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

huh...at il state, well i didn't do it, schedule conflict, but i saw from pictures and heard from other competitors that we had like a circuit board and you had to connect wires to it and yeah...it looked hard...people from all teams were like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: i don't know this... :oops: :oops:

to me, it seemed impossible :lol: but wish you lots of luck
peter, peter, peter
space scientist
Division: C
State: TX

Post by space scientist »

I have seen practicals involving usage of meter, determining polarity of magnets, reading resistor coding, making a circuit, and determining whether an incandescent light bulb is brighter in a series or parallel circuit. All of those were fairly easy, and I know how to do the ones that I did incorrectly the first time. In addition, practicals should be fairly easy if you know the concepts behind them.
"The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." John Lawton
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." William Arthur Ward
Singh1997

Post by Singh1997 »

Hey, thanks for all the info. Two things

1) To determine the polarity of the magnets, would you tie the magnet to a string, and see how it aligns itself?
2) Do you know if the circuitboard they had to use was a non-solderable breadboard? Those are relatively basic, and what I imagine they would give us. I just want to know what to study

Thanks
prelude to death
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by prelude to death »

For #1, I'm pretty sure that would be correct. I think it says to in the Wiki (but then again, I editted it, so yeah). In the rules manual, I'm pretty sure they say that you get a compass too, but I think all the compass is for is so that you can check which pole of the magnet is north and south, but yeah. I think that's basically it. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
"I like a quiet life, you know me."
space scientist

If you are given only the magnet that you need to identify the poles of and a compass, wouldn't you put the compass near the magnet and see which way the poles align. In addition, doesn't the part of the compass that points north have a north magnetic field, or am I incorrect? When my partner and I had to build a circuit, we were given a Snap Circuit set.
"The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion." John Lawton
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it." William Arthur Ward
Singh1997

Post by Singh1997 »

Wouldn't the north of the compass correspond to the south magnetic pole? Because doesn't the average compass point to Earth's south magnetic pole?
Singh1997

Post by Singh1997 »

Another question. Do you think we need to have all units and constants memorized? On previous tests, have you been given things like Coulomb's constant, for use in calculation? Just wondering if I should put that on the note sheet
space scientist

Singh1997 wrote:Another question. Do you think we need to have all units and constants memorized? On previous tests, have you been given things like Coulomb's constant, for use in calculation? Just wondering if I should put that on the note sheet
I would put the constant down, but it isn't hard to memorize 6.25*10^18 (6E25 if you are using metric notation and the amount of electrons in a coulomb). I would also have the definitions of all of the units on the notes sheet, but I would also memorize the units. The reason for putting the information on the notes sheet is so that an alternate would be able to do at least somewhat well in the event if you can't go to the tournament or participate in the event.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Singh1997 wrote:Wouldn't the north of the compass correspond to the south magnetic pole?
See: WikiPedia - Magnets: Pole Naming Conventions
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

Return to “2011 Lab Events”