andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power C

Post by andrewwski »

lllazar wrote:Ahh, so i'll need a generator and some probes as well? Thanks

And 1 last question, in a general way could you briefly explain what kind of design/material would produce more power and not just a fast rpm, like for example:

Would a balsa turbine that has the same rpm as a turbine made of playing cards produce more power?
There's a lot of factors to take into account there. First of all - would the balsa be longer than the playing cards? If not, you really only have a difference in mass of the blades. But I'd think you'd want something longer than playing cards.

The total power you can capture in the wind stream increases proportional to the square of the turbine radius:

However, rotational inertia and aerodynamic drag oppose the rotation of the turbine. If we assume the blades to be rods (fairly close) and use the radius r as the rod length, we find the rotational inertia of a single blade to be . So inertia also increases as a square of blade length.

You want to find the optimal length that maximizes your power captured.

Your generator will be the motor from a CD player. The probes should come with or be attached to your meter.
OlympiadLover
Division: C
State: NM
Been thanked: 0

Post by OlympiadLover »

How did schools generate that much last year? like 1600?
10' State: 1st: It's About Time and Experimental Design,, 2nd: Picture This, State, National team/UIUC
11' State: 1st: Experimental Design and 1st Wind Power, 3rd Mousetrap Vehicle, National team/UW-Madison
12' State: 3rd Thermodynamics, 3rd Water Quality, 8th Experimental Design, National team/UCF
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We managed 600 total, and got 3rd at regionals. I just wish we had more than two weeks to test out designs. 1600 sounds pretty good to me.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

OlympiadLover wrote:How did schools generate that much last year? like 1600?
The highest combined score at last year's nationals was 3361 mV. For just B division. The full scores are here.
Has anyone this year gotten above 100 mW?
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Based on last year's rules, wouldn't Division B get higher combined voltages? Due to the fact that we had a smaller maximum diameter, the blades would be able to spin much faster. This year, I think its better to go for a slightly larger diameter.
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

In regards to construction, last year I used basswood instead of balsa for extra strength. This year, since I assume the assemblies will have a quite a bit more surface area, I would think that you might even need something sturdier than basswood.

Also, you do not need masses of technology to do well at this event--an X-acto knife worked fine for me.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

illusionist wrote:Based on last year's rules, wouldn't Division B get higher combined voltages? Due to the fact that we had a smaller maximum diameter, the blades would be able to spin much faster. This year, I think its better to go for a slightly larger diameter.
Yes, that makes sense. Except at nationals, they had two completely different setups for for testing, so who knows.
lllazar
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

I see a lot of people saying we need more surface area - is this to more efficiently capture wind and get past inertia?
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
E Edgar
State: IN

Post by E Edgar »

Well, if your blades are just free-spinning, then you want really thin blades that won't create a lot of drag. If you hook up a load (resistor in this case), then I would think you would need blades that catch more air. To accomplish this, an increase in blade surface area might help. Of course, the load isn't that huge in this case so it may be that fairly thin blades is still best.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

E Edgar wrote:In regards to construction, last year I used basswood instead of balsa for extra strength. This year, since I assume the assemblies will have a quite a bit more surface area, I would think that you might even need something sturdier than basswood.

Also, you do not need masses of technology to do well at this event--an X-acto knife worked fine for me.
So did you sand down the bass in order to get it at an acceptable weight? Cause I can only find 1/4 inch bass sheets...

Return to “2011 Lab Events”