Wind Power C

Frogger4907
Division: Grad
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power C

Post by Frogger4907 »

During your set up time, u can ask them to turn the fan on, which will allow it to start spinning, once it reaches top speed ask them to begin recording.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
OptimusPrime
Division: C
State: OH

Post by OptimusPrime »

Does anyone know what the winning blade score from nats were?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by Paradox21 »

OptimusPrime wrote:Does anyone know what the winning blade score from nats were?
As you know, the scores change highly depending on the setup, so the number is meaningless unless you competed at nationals. I did ask the high speed fan guy what the top score was (I went in the last time slot). He said the top score (high speed fan only) was about a 550 max, 500 average. It was a 2-blade design. I didn't ask the low speed guy what the top score was. Our fan had a 350 average on high (I actually don't remember the low score) and it got us a tidy 15th place.

The test at nationals was VERY easy, so the rankings should correlate very tightly with fan blade performance.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I wish it was like that for me at States. I'm not really a Study event guy, so the test was hard, but our blade did beastly. Unfortunately, it was a 12-or-so question test, which is weighted as half our score...
BVSOrcguy
State: CA

Post by BVSOrcguy »

i wanna know how the heck you got 4.2v without a resistor! our highest ever without a resistor was 1.7v. our three blade this year did 450 on high in testing on a 8(?) ohm resistor. we got first at states. although i was at sumo bots during wind power(why are they always at the same time?! :evil: ), my partner said the test was hard, but we had the fastest turbine.

next year, we have some ideas that involve either lexan or fiberglass. :twisted:
at regionals:
2nd in Wind Power
2nd in Sumo Bots
2nd overall.

at States:
1st in Wind Power
3rd in Sumo Bots
3rd overall.

traxxasslash95 on YouTube and on ultimaterc.com
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

I hate to rain on your parade, but Wind Power will not be an event next year for Division C.... :(
MLBfreek35
State: MA

Post by MLBfreek35 »

I wouldn't call this test very easy... last year's Physics Lab test was much easier and it was supposed to be the same topics, although it wasn't. I thought this year's test (all the labeling) was kinda stupid. You aced it if you happened to have it in your reference binder, and you probably had some difficulty if you didn't. There should have been more application, imo.

As for the windmill, I'd be interested in seeing some of the designs that did better than mine. I swear mine was about to rip itself apart from spinning so fast, but it only got about 300mV on high.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

At States, I got 700 on high, and 300 on low. ES said it was the fastest low speed turbine of the day
eeldj123
State: CA

Post by eeldj123 »

MLBfreek35 wrote:I wouldn't call this test very easy... last year's Physics Lab test was much easier and it was supposed to be the same topics, although it wasn't. I thought this year's test (all the labeling) was kinda stupid. You aced it if you happened to have it in your reference binder, and you probably had some difficulty if you didn't. There should have been more application, imo.

As for the windmill, I'd be interested in seeing some of the designs that did better than mine. I swear mine was about to rip itself apart from spinning so fast, but it only got about 300mV on high.
Since there is no limitations as to what you can have in your binder, the test reflects upon how well you've mastered concepts (physics) and how well you've prepared your binder (environmental science).

In reality the event's more of a battle to see who can prepare the best. This was the case when my partner and I competed at regionals and state. Preparation of the binder made a huge difference in our placing.

300 mV on high? what ohm resistor was used?
MLBfreek35
State: MA

Post by MLBfreek35 »

eeldj123 wrote: Since there is no limitations as to what you can have in your binder, the test reflects upon how well you've mastered concepts (physics) and how well you've prepared your binder (environmental science).

In reality the event's more of a battle to see who can prepare the best. This was the case when my partner and I competed at regionals and state. Preparation of the binder made a huge difference in our placing.

300 mV on high? what ohm resistor was used?
Preparation of the binder will always make a big difference when they let you use one, but you should never be able to get the answer directly from the binder, imo. maybe you need an equation from your binder, but just identifying parts is stupidly easy (if it's in your binder)

I'm not sure what the resistance was... whatever they had at nationals. The best windmills got in the 500mV range, apparently

Return to “2011 Lab Events”