Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power C

Post by kjhsscioly »

MLBfreek35 wrote:
eeldj123 wrote: Since there is no limitations as to what you can have in your binder, the test reflects upon how well you've mastered concepts (physics) and how well you've prepared your binder (environmental science).

In reality the event's more of a battle to see who can prepare the best. This was the case when my partner and I competed at regionals and state. Preparation of the binder made a huge difference in our placing.

300 mV on high? what ohm resistor was used?
Preparation of the binder will always make a big difference when they let you use one, but you should never be able to get the answer directly from the binder, imo. maybe you need an equation from your binder, but just identifying parts is stupidly easy (if it's in your binder)

I'm not sure what the resistance was... whatever they had at nationals. The best windmills got in the 500mV range, apparently
I would differ on the binder issue... Our state test was absurdly easy, and a significant joke. Most of the questions were straight units, like asking what a calorie is, in a T/F question. It also asked what the two types of energy were, and so forth. Really, most of the unit stuff was out of the binder, straight, and there really wasn't anything not in our binder.
eeldj123
Division: C
State: CA

Post by eeldj123 »

kjhsscioly wrote:I would differ on the binder issue... Our state test was absurdly easy, and a significant joke. Most of the questions were straight units, like asking what a calorie is, in a T/F question. It also asked what the two types of energy were, and so forth. Really, most of the unit stuff was out of the binder, straight, and there really wasn't anything not in our binder.
It varies with the state then, the test I took at state had a pretty significant influence on the overall score since it asked lots of terminology questions and in depth questions about temperature.
solonoc
State: OH

Post by solonoc »

To be dreadfully honest, the written test was way too simplistic. Binderbuilding was definitely not necessary for the nationals test. I'm positive that there were at least 5-10 teams that could've aced the test without any resources. Also, I know that the top 6 building scores were from a total of 550 to 450 mV (give or take a few tens at either end). I heard that Wind Power is being replaced with Keep the Heat or something like that. Can anyone confirm?
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Yes, that is true. Keep the Heat is about thermodynamics, and will replace Wind Power in Division C next year

Return to “2011 Lab Events”