Wind Power C

Primate
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power C

Post by Primate »

illusionist wrote:For blades such as the ones used in this event, most of the work is done at the center of rotation. Therefore the center should have a high pitch compared to the tips, am i right?

Also, can the poster of this picture http://gallery.scioly.org/details.php?image_id=3366 tell me what score/voltages for this blade were?
My experience with wind turbine aerodynamics is extremely limited (read: nonexistent), but I think air flowing over the outer edges of the turbine would have more torque and thus do more work.

Also, whadk, how on earth did you manage that?
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by kjhsscioly »

illusionist wrote:For blades such as the ones used in this event, most of the work is done at the center of rotation. Therefore the center should have a high pitch compared to the tips, am i right?

Also, can the poster of this picture http://gallery.scioly.org/details.php?image_id=3366 tell me what score/voltages for this blade were?

That was me... that was our second best blade, but it didn't do that well. I think it was something like 190 mv, compared to top scores of high 200s. I think it somewhat missed the point, since the more minimalistic and tiny two bladed turbines did better.
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

kjhsscioly wrote:

That was me... that was our second best blade, but it didn't do that well. I think it was something like 190 mv, compared to top scores of high 200s. I think it somewhat missed the point, since the more minimalistic and tiny two bladed turbines did better.
only 200 mv? my turbine hits about 420mv on 5 ohms
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
ChrisYim
State: IL

Post by ChrisYim »

ok guys... dont be stupid like i was at state....i forgot to impound and got put in tier 3 (and the test was so easy too!)
devin159
State: WA

Post by devin159 »

Ok, something strange at our tournaments this year. All the judges at the tournaments this year seem to think that the rules when they say that the contestants can alter the posistion, it only means on an X and Y plane, and the CD mount is a set distance away from the fan. I had a bit of a problem with this and have managed to have them redo the blade test at every competition this has happened in. Has anyone else seen something like this. Does posistion imply X, Y, and Z? Or only X and Y? :?:
"WHAT?? I've fried another circuit board? GAR!!"
-In loving memory of Goodwill bot, 7th place sumobots, Aviation Invitational, 2011-2011
Undefeated Washington State Wind Power Lead... BOOYAH!!
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

You can move it X, Y, and Z... btw Z is the vertical plane and Y is the distance from the fan.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

Question (states in two days)

Does adding weight to the center of my cd help?
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Honestly, I don't understand what your thinking is as to why it would help. But I may be COMPLETELY wrong! If you had to add mass any where (for example to increase the momentum of the blade), it would be at the tips. Adding it to the middle would not do much except for increase the mass. Since it is so close to the center of rotation, I don't think it would have a great effect on momentum. Once again, I may be wrong.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Sorry for the double-post, but I had states last weekend, and the test was HORRIBLE. I have never felt so unprepared in my life! We had a decent binder with formulas, but still it felt a bit over whelming. A note to those with states yet to come: Pace yourselves. The time runs out very quickly.
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

Dangit then. Ah, well... i'll test it tomorrow and see...
k-tx. retiring from scioly.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”