Geocaching B/C [Trial]

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Geocaching B/C [Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Geocaching B/C, a trial event in Illinois.

2004 Rules (used in IL for 2011)
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geocaching B/C [Trial]

Post by The Eviscerator »

Seems interesting, yet it has potential to bomb. Like pentathlon, the "active part" of walking around by following the gps directions seems kind of pointless.
Although I always do like earth science!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

How is anyone going about preparing for this one? It's not like there's a stack of practice tests from the last decade or anything...
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

Skink wrote:How is anyone going about preparing for this one? It's not like there's a stack of practice tests from the last decade or anything...
You study...
Everyone is going to be in the same scneario without practice tests, so you just do what you can: study what's on the rules sheet.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

The Eviscerator wrote:
Skink wrote:How is anyone going about preparing for this one? It's not like there's a stack of practice tests from the last decade or anything...
You study...
Everyone is going to be in the same scneario without practice tests, so you just do what you can: study what's on the rules sheet.
Posts like these aren't very helpful. What I'm looking for (and realize I might not get) is somebody who's already begun that search or did it last year and has some web resources already picked out. You know what I mean? But, yes, the rules sheet is a start. For this event, they provide 4/5 questions that give you a...vague...idea what you may be tested on. It's better than nothing.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

I did Geocaching last year.... Studied my butt off with GPS technology and earth science, and we got there and the questions said: Go to the stature in the park. What animal sticker is on there? What number does it say? Add that number to the coordinates "..."
Intense.
Medal Counter: 73
courage7856

Post by courage7856 »

I did it last year too, and medaled. They lost one of the waypoints, not sure how, but it was fun. There were a few things you could do out of order. Most of the questions had to do with making sure you actually saw the stuff
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Thanks, guys.
So, assuming you do this around campus, how do they keep teams from interacting with people? Do they send a confederate with you at your scheduled time to walk around with you?
courage7856

Post by courage7856 »

I remember talking to the other teams. I think the rationale was that you wouldn't want to tell other people things that would possibly benefit them, so they trusted us because us SciOly kids like medals. But since there was the missing waypoint backlog in the morning, a lot of people were in the same areas at the same times, and it was hard not to let people see what you found. I actually found something (our last thing), but there were about 4 teams around, so I pretended my partner and I had to leave. She was mad, but on our way back to the judges, I told her what I found and she was okay with it. Later in the day, teams were more spread out, so there wasn't as much of an issue.
There once was a group of teens
Who were lean mean science machines.
They liked to win medals,
when everything settles
and their favorite color was green.

2012: Forestry, Forensics, Water Quality, R and M
Colony
Division: B

Post by Colony »

So...... does anyone have any ideas for what the questions might be?

Return to “2011 Lab Events”