Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Preliminary:Thermodynamics Lab

Post by Jim_R »

Preliminary Thread for Keep The Heat

Some Questions are, how similar is this going to be to Keep the Heat? Same, similar with minor changes, or major changes?
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Thermodynamics Lab

Post by harryk »

Well if it is very similar, I'm wondering what people's designs used to be like? Just heavy duty foam insulation or were there some unusual tricks?
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

If the device will be still scored in the same way as the trial rules, it appears mass will be as much of a factor as the thermal insulation. The best devices will likely require a careful thickness of insulation to balance temperature loss and mass.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

chalker wrote:For example, Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division C next year. It's virtually the same rules as the division B version of the event, which will be called Keep the Heat
So...yeah
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

starpug wrote:
chalker wrote:For example, Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division C next year. It's virtually the same rules as the division B version of the event, which will be called Keep the Heat
So...yeah

Just to clarify, the C and B division rules we've come up with are very similar to each other. However there are some significant changes from the trial rules that were run years ago.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

Okay, I'm not really sure what this is since I haven't heard of it before, but it looks really cool. Could anyone please explain, because I really want to do it but I'm not sure how. I read all the threads on this forum, but they weren't much help. :) Thnx
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:Okay, I'm not really sure what this is since I haven't heard of it before, but it looks really cool. Could anyone please explain, because I really want to do it but I'm not sure how. I read all the threads on this forum, but they weren't much help. :) Thnx
Well, based on the trial rules for this event from a couple years ago (Keep the Heat), we expect there to be two parts: pre-building some kind of insulation device that keeps some water hot, and a test on thermodynamics.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
geekychic13
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
geekychic13 wrote:Okay, I'm not really sure what this is since I haven't heard of it before, but it looks really cool. Could anyone please explain, because I really want to do it but I'm not sure how. I read all the threads on this forum, but they weren't much help. :) Thnx
Well, based on the trial rules for this event from a couple years ago (Keep the Heat), we expect there to be two parts: pre-building some kind of insulation device that keeps some water hot, and a test on thermodynamics.
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
ramkumar
State: CA

Post by ramkumar »

Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division! Are you sure?
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

ramkumar wrote:Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division! Are you sure?
This is what chalker said in a different post, yes. He's one of the main people involved with crafting the event rules and such, so I'd trust him on this. If I remember correctly, Division B will still be called "Keep the Heat."
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2011 Lab Events”