geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Thermodynamics Lab

Post by geekychic13 »

Infinity Flat wrote:
ramkumar wrote:Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division! Are you sure?
This is what chalker said in a different post, yes. He's one of the main people involved with crafting the event rules and such, so I'd trust him on this. If I remember correctly, Division B will still be called "Keep the Heat."
raise your hand if thermodynamics lab sounds more scientifical than keep the heat ! :P
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:
ramkumar wrote:Keep the Heat is going to be called Thermodynamics Lab for Division! Are you sure?
This is what chalker said in a different post, yes. He's one of the main people involved with crafting the event rules and such, so I'd trust him on this. If I remember correctly, Division B will still be called "Keep the Heat."
raise your hand if thermodynamics lab sounds more scientifical than keep the heat ! :P
That was the point - high schoolers may want to put achievement in Science Olympiad events on their resumes and college applications, and it helps if they have more serious/professional names. (e.g. "Astronomy" instead of "Reach for the Stars.")
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

Well I'm hoping to receive this event. Is this still tentative or is it definite?
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

geminicross wrote:Well I'm hoping to receive this event. Is this still tentative or is it definite?
Everything is officially "tentative," but it would be a HUGE surprise if there were any changes.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Infinity Flat wrote:

Correct:

Div B: Keep the Heat
Div C: Thermodynamics Lab

The tentative rules are virtually the same for each except for some special things in C that make it a little harder and add some additional factors into the event.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

chalker wrote:
Infinity Flat wrote:

Correct:

Div B: Keep the Heat
Div C: Thermodynamics Lab

The tentative rules are virtually the same for each except for some special things in C that make it a little harder and add some additional factors into the event.
Will the testing part of the event be worth 50% like it was for Wind Power this year, or 10% as in the Trial Rules?
(State, Nationals)
geekychic13
Division: B
State: IL

Post by geekychic13 »

i think it would be better to be 10%, since the focus should be more on can they do it (whcich requires the studying part AND the building part), and so if you can build something to keep the water warm, you know the science behind it, but i see how its good to have the written part, i would want it, but i just think the event should be more focused on the lab part
GUESS WHAT???? I GOTS 1ST PLACE IN ALL MY EVENTS AT CONFERENCE!!!!
Anatomy, Crime Busters, Disease Detectives, Meteorology, Optics
:D
Jesus died for me.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow

-Yellow, by Coldplay
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

geekychic13 wrote:i think it would be better to be 10%, since the focus should be more on can they do it (whcich requires the studying part AND the building part), and so if you can build something to keep the water warm, you know the science behind it, but i see how its good to have the written part, i would want it, but i just think the event should be more focused on the lab part
I just don't think the building part is big enough in scope to account for 90% of the event, especially considering how close many of the scores from the building section would likely be.
(State, Nationals)
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

Not that I have any true insight into this topic, but from convos with teammates about this event, the general consensus was that building wasn't going to be a big part of grading as Infinity pointed out. There would be just too many builds that would be very similar.

I feel as if the written part will probably play the most important part in determining scores, and therefore, probably receive a majority of the percentage of points. (Sorry if I'm repeating anyone. Just speaking my mind)
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

I think that the general understanding should be worth more than the building portion seeing as so many factors could affect what happens during the event

Return to “2011 Lab Events”