Preliminary:Thermodynamics Lab

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Preliminary:Thermodynamics Lab

Post by Flavorflav »

Everybody except the Chalkers is guessing at this point, but my money would be on 50-50 for test and event. That has been the pattern for most of the combo tech-testing events for some years now (wind power, solar power, maglev etc.)
blazer
Division: C
State: MO
Been thanked: 0

Post by blazer »

I agree. While I initially thought the draft rules had an over-dependence on the building part, I am now disappointed to see the build's importance diminished. I have some good ideas and am looking forward to the building part of the event. Events that are half build and half test I find hard to master: my It's About Time pendulum ranked 4th in the nation, but I did so poorly on the test my overall rank was 19th.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Flavorflav wrote:Everybody except the Chalkers is guessing at this point, but my money would be on 50-50 for test and event. That has been the pattern for most of the combo tech-testing events for some years now (wind power, solar power, maglev etc.)
The current, almost ready to send to the printers, version of the events have a little more complicated scoring system than that. There 4 scoring components in Div B and 5 in Div C. Test score is 1 component, and heat retention (i.e. device capability) is another component.

I'm going to hold off on explaining the other components, other than to say it's very significantly changed from the trial event version that's posted online, since that would likely just cause a lot more questions to be raised, the majority of which would be answered by reading through the rules once they are published.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by harryk »

Hmmm, 5 components
- Test
- Heat retention
- Some kind of second score for device, such as mass
- Heating curves for your device?
- ???? (something more difficult only for Div C)
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

Return to “2011 Lab Events”