Dynamic Planet B/C

Celeste
Division: C
State: NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Celeste » February 20th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Has anybody had any questions at invitationals or regionals with topographic maps yet? There were a couple at our regionals, we just had to identify some features that were marked on the map.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

HannahD413
State: MI

Post by HannahD413 » February 20th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Yes, we had to determine the elevations in order to state which way rivers were flowing.

personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex » February 20th, 2011, 4:57 pm

for my invitationals, we had a whole page of topographic maps, and we had to identify what feature was in it. Very confusing, since it was in black and white...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

katzmeow

Post by katzmeow » February 21st, 2011, 1:01 pm

gneissisnice wrote:
katzmeow wrote:so I'm trying to understand stream order, and I looked on that wikipedia article posted above (along with a bunch of other sources)...the only thing i don't understand is the question "What is the Horton-Strahler index of this stream system?" I'm probably being stupid, but the other questions ask for the classification number of each node, and the last one asks for the bifurcation ratio; I think I understand all of that, but what exactly is the index?
I'm not 100% sure, but I would hazard a guess that when asked for the index of the entire stream, you go with the highest possible order (so if you have enough tributaries to make the main channel 4th order, for example, the index of the system is 4th order).

Thanks, I was leaning that way, too. It would help if our invitationals test-maker had included an answer key afterward lol...

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » February 21st, 2011, 1:20 pm

what has been the focus of the majority of the tests people have taken out there? Were your tests heavy on river information, or lake information, or groundwater information, or...?
Because so far I haven't take a test that's had more than maybe 5 questions on groundwater. At invitationals, it was about 50-50 between lakes and rivers, and at regionals, it was about 90% rivers.

katzmeow

Post by katzmeow » February 21st, 2011, 1:43 pm

I was also disappointed that our invitationals test had essentially nothing on groundwater (ONE fill in the blank vocabulary question and nothing else). Our sections were drainage patterns, stream order, stream flow, erosion, topographical fluvial features, and the manning equation. there was also a section of multiple choice that mentioned drainage channels, traction and saltation, world water distribution, oxygen levels, and a couple vocabulary questions we did not know; a short answer section again about drainage patterns, water discharge, SPU, pH, and a couple other vocabulary issues; and a fill in the blank covering more random vocabulary (more stuff that we unfortunately did not know - except for the one groundwater question lol).

crazy77

Post by crazy77 » February 21st, 2011, 2:21 pm

what is "SPU?" :?

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » February 21st, 2011, 2:24 pm

hmm yeah I was wondering the same thing. care to explain katzmeow?

crazy77

Post by crazy77 » February 21st, 2011, 5:16 pm

also a question on my regionals test (and apparently many others') was something like, what is the primary force of the hydrologic cycle? or something like that. the only two choices i really remember were gravity (which to me explains surface runoff and things like that) and the sun's energy (which explains things like evaporation) so i wasn't sure about that one

personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex » February 21st, 2011, 5:19 pm

crazy77 wrote:also a question on my regionals test (and apparently many others') was something like, what is the primary force of the hydrologic cycle? or something like that. the only two choices i really remember were gravity (which to me explains surface runoff and things like that) and the sun's energy (which explains things like evaporation) so i wasn't sure about that one
oh yeah we had that too, and I remember debating between those choices. I THINK I ended up picking solar energy? Don't remember... I wish they would give us regionals/states tests back...

Return to “2011 Study Events”