Team Place: 4th
personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by personasaurus rex »

havenguy wrote:Why would it be reduced to one?
Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

personasaurus rex wrote:
Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...
While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

The Eviscerator wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:
While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.
Maybe it's just you?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
personasaurus rex

Post by personasaurus rex »

havenguy wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote: While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.
Maybe it's just you?
No he's right. After you study a lot most of it just comes off the top of your head. It's the formulas (maybe not even the formulas) and the really specific/obscure vocab and diagrams that really need the notes. I know when I made my note sheets i was looking for stuff to fill it all up with.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
sparky007
State: OH

Post by sparky007 »

So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)
2012 EVENTS
R&M!
Thermo Lab!
Sounds of Mooooosic!
Chem Lab!
Anatomy!
Water Quality!
Gravity Vehicle!
WOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D D :D
The Eviscerator
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

sparky007 wrote:So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)
The topic encompasses rivers, lakes, streams, groundwater, wetlands, and other things that I can't remember right now. No glaciers though as that is a separate event by itself.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

sparky007 wrote:So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)
The event should stay about the same, I believe. You had to know about wetlands and bogs last year, so this year will likely not be different. Glaciers are a completely different topic for Dynamic Planet and will (probably) come back as a topic in a few years.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
IdahoSciGuy
State: ID

Post by IdahoSciGuy »

Paradox21 wrote:
(Help me!)
The event should stay about the same, I believe. You had to know about wetlands and bogs last year, so this year will likely not be different. Glaciers are a completely different topic for Dynamic Planet and will (probably) come back as a topic in a few years.
Ugh.

I HATED glaciers wth a fiery Passion.....I'm so glad they aren't coming back till probably 2013 or so. Actually, my state kinda blew.off on the state test. I got some resources from Wikipedia in my binder, and it turned out I had, word for word, three quarters of the test. Needless to say, it stuck with me. Grrrrrrr.
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

IdahoSciGuy wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:
(Help me!)
Ugh.

I HATED glaciers wth a fiery Passion.....I'm so glad they aren't coming back till probably 2013 or so. Actually, my state kinda blew.off on the state test. I got some resources from Wikipedia in my binder, and it turned out I had, word for word, three quarters of the test. Needless to say, it stuck with me. Grrrrrrr.
I was pretty good at glaciers, and my coach was a huge glaciers nut (the only thing he likes better than glaciers are fossils and rocks and minerals), but it was honestly one of the most boring events I've ever done. I've had some decently challenging tests, but just as often, I had mindnumbingly easy tests with horrible diagrams (we had a diagram where we had to label the different features of a glacier and its deposits, and it had like 5 arrows just pointing either at nothing or all at the same thing, it was impossible to see what they were pointing at).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2011 Study Events”