Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by gneissisnice »

drifter601 wrote:
mingtian wrote:
Skink wrote: Now that's something...some goof at our Regional did the same thing (except he DID put volcanoes on there).
Next time, you should bring a copy of the rules to the competition. If it happens again, maybe you can appeal.
We did bring rules, and tried to appeal, but they ignored us. At least they didn't used the finishes to calculate our total team score.

(Although we did get a little lucky and earned a 3rd place finish :D ;) )
They HAVE to stick with the rules; they ran the wrong event, and no one could have known that they were supposed to study for Earthquakes and Volcanoes when the event is clearly Fresh Water.

But if they didn't count Dynamic Planet for the overall team score, then that's all they could've done. The event was wrong for everyone and so they'd just have to throw out the event entirely. Sucks for the Dynamic people though, but they can't really do anything else.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by mnstrviola »

Is everything we're tested on going to be on the rules? For example, the rules mention braided, meandering and straight channel types. Does this mean it will not include radial, or centripetal?
TYG
Division: C

Post by TYG »

Channel types and drainage patterns aren't the same thing. Channel types include the braided, meandering, and straight channels, whereas drainage patterns (the pattern that a river and all its tributaries make) include but are not limited to radial and centripetal.

The rules also say that you need to know drainage patterns, so yes, you would need to know what radial and centripetal drainage patterns are.

Everything on the rules should probably be prepared, but the events at competitions vary, as they aren't created by the same person. You never really know what is on test exactly, so if the event is made badly, you could have virtually anything on the test (see posts above about earthquakes and volcanoes, though that's a very unusual case, and probably won't happen in later competitions (so don't study for completely unrelated topics))

So if you know all the concepts stated in the rules pretty well, then studying a bit outside the rules wouldn't hurt, as long as you stay on the topic of fresh water and the information seems relevant to the event.
mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

TYG wrote:Channel types and drainage patterns aren't the same thing. Channel types include the braided, meandering, and straight channels, whereas drainage patterns (the pattern that a river and all its tributaries make) include but are not limited to radial and centripetal.

The rules also say that you need to know drainage patterns, so yes, you would need to know what radial and centripetal drainage patterns are.

Everything on the rules should probably be prepared, but the events at competitions vary, as they aren't created by the same person. You never really know what is on test exactly, so if the event is made badly, you could have virtually anything on the test (see posts above about earthquakes and volcanoes, though that's an extreme case).

So if you know all the concepts stated in the rules pretty well, then studying a bit outside the rules wouldn't hurt, and could probably prove to be helpful.
Okay, thank you!

...is it just me, of does Wikipedia spell "nickpoint" incorrectly as "knickpoint", or is it the other way around?
FueL

Post by FueL »

mnstrviola wrote: ...is it just me, of does Wikipedia spell "nickpoint" incorrectly as "knickpoint", or is it the other way around?
Neither, they are both correct spellings. :]
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
mingtian
State: PA

Post by mingtian »

mnstrviola wrote:Is everything we're tested on going to be on the rules? For example, the rules mention braided, meandering and straight channel types. Does this mean it will not include radial, or centripetal?
You should know everything on the rules. It can all be tested on; furthermore, you should also study some stuff not on the rules too. Tests will include information including, but not limited to stuff on the rules.
mp727
State: PA

Post by mp727 »

personasaurus rex wrote:
mp727 wrote:the dynamic planet test at kutztown regionals was veryyyyyy hard!!!!!i got 8th place![
do you remember any specific questions that were especially hard?
NO!! THATS THE PROBLEM!!!
Teal
State: WA

Post by Teal »

Hey guys, I'm being thrown into Dynamic Planet last minute for STATE. :\ It's about a month away, so I'm not trying to panic, but how much studying do you suggest I do each night?
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!
FueL

Post by FueL »

Teal wrote:Hey guys, I'm being thrown into Dynamic Planet last minute for STATE. :\ It's about a month away, so I'm not trying to panic, but how much studying do you suggest I do each night?
15-30 minutes daily and practicing with your partner should be more than sufficient if you're good at studying. The #1 resource I used was this little book called Fresh Waters by E.C. Pielou, which I found in the library. It might not be worth buying if your library doesn't have it, but real books are more preferable than the Internet.

My partner and I studied by splitting the items listed in the manual in half and each taking notes on our part (he got rivers/Karst topography, I got lakes/pollution). We'd then exchange notes and explain anything that wasn't clear.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
Teal
State: WA

Post by Teal »

Thanks. I've got some big shoes to fill, the person who can't make it to this competition has gotten first in every invite and at regionals.
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!

Return to “2011 Study Events”