Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by NYLHVSSO »

sassyscientist wrote:Does anyone know when there will be an "outline" for each event this upcoming year? I'm sorry if I seem like a moron for asking this, but I just got into Science O last year and I really got into it. This year I wanted too start earlier so that I will be more prepared than I was last year.
This is also my first year in Science Olympiad.
If you meant the training handout when you said "outline," I am pretty sure that they have those for every event for the past few years.
The list of events is already up (see 2011-2012 events thread in General Chat).

Rules will be posted around September. (This is the sheet with all the topics but not much detail.)
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
RBears6
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by RBears6 »

Fertilizer being dumped into various types of water is what type of pollution?
Please explain this answer to me.
:D
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Luo »

RBears6 wrote:Fertilizer being dumped into various types of water is what type of pollution?
Please explain this answer to me.
:D
That question is a little ambiguous, but let me try my best. So fertilizer pollution is classified as non-point source (NPS) because it comes from multiple sources and can spread itself over a wide area. Furthermore, fertilizer pollution is classified as a "nutrient" pollutant source because it contains phosphates and nitrates that can lead to eutrophication (algal blooms and the like) that in turn leads to hypoxia (decreased dissolved oxygen content). Hypoxia can jeopardize the survival of many freshwater species. Fertilizer pollution is also classified as a "chemical" pollutant source because many fertilizers contain potentially toxic inorganic compounds that can threaten ecosystems as the toxins become biologically magnified.

I hope this helps. :)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Return to “2011 Study Events”