Dynamic Planet B/C

The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by The Eviscerator »

A couple pages back, someone mentioned calculating "rouse." Could someone explain what "rouse" is? I googled it, but all I could find was the last name of someone and "rouse belts," which are related to earthquakes...
gigaboo
State: UT

Post by gigaboo »

My test was plotting points, contouring a map, circling a drainage basin and a couple questions. We didn't need our notes at all.
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

The Eviscerator wrote:A couple pages back, someone mentioned calculating "rouse." Could someone explain what "rouse" is? I googled it, but all I could find was the last name of someone and "rouse belts," which are related to earthquakes...
The Rouse number is a non-dimensional number in fluid dynamics which is used to define a concentration profile of suspended sediment and which also determines how sediment will be transported in a flowing fluid.
^Wikipedia <3 haha
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
The Eviscerator

personasaurus rex wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote:A couple pages back, someone mentioned calculating "rouse." Could someone explain what "rouse" is? I googled it, but all I could find was the last name of someone and "rouse belts," which are related to earthquakes...
The Rouse number is a non-dimensional number in fluid dynamics which is used to define a concentration profile of suspended sediment and which also determines how sediment will be transported in a flowing fluid.
^Wikipedia <3 haha
:oops: I can't believe I forgot to check wikipedia... Thanks though, that clears it up a lot.

Edit: How have you guys been getting your information? I've just been googling things and it seems like I'm missing some things... Do you guys use textbooks, and which ones?
emd19
Division: B
State: PA

Post by emd19 »

The Rouse number is a non-dimensional number in fluid dynamics which is used to define a concentration profile of suspended sediment and which also determines how sediment will be transported in a flowing fluid. It is a ratio between the sediment fall velocity and the upwards velocity on the grain as a product of the von Kármán constant and the shear velocity .

However, as I asked before, should we learn about this? Will they ask us to calculate it?
2009:NW PA
3rd in regionals Fossils
2nd Regionals pentathlon
2010: NW PA
1st Fossils
1st Road Scholar
3rd Ornithology
2010: PA States
2nd Road Scholar
5th Fossils
2011: NW PA regionals
1st in Fossils, Road Scholar, Experimental Design,Ecology and Dynamic Planet
junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by junexia »

i don't know if this has already been asked, but what sources is everyone using for world's largest rivers/lakes? i've looked at a couple of different sources, and each one listed them in different orders
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet
personasaurus rex
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex »

emd19 wrote:The Rouse number is a non-dimensional number in fluid dynamics which is used to define a concentration profile of suspended sediment and which also determines how sediment will be transported in a flowing fluid. It is a ratio between the sediment fall velocity and the upwards velocity on the grain as a product of the von Kármán constant and the shear velocity .

However, as I asked before, should we learn about this? Will they ask us to calculate it?
I doubt this will be asked. It's very complicated physics. This event will stick mostly with geography. The hardest test I've taken was mostly IDing, types of lakes, and interpreting graphs. Even at my state level, the test was disappointingly easy and barely went beyond basic vocabulary...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
strikerbear10
State: MI

Post by strikerbear10 »

Could someone please give me a good website for topo maps?
The Eviscerator

strikerbear10 wrote:Could someone please give me a good website for topo maps?
topomaps.usgs.gov
The test probably won't have many questions on topo maps though... Even if they do, they will probably be very basic things that you can use common sense and figure out.
Last edited by The Eviscerator on April 20th, 2011, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by bwy »

The Eviscerator wrote:
strikerbear10 wrote:Could someone please give me a good website for topo maps?
topomaps.usgs.gov
The test probably won't have many questions on topo maps though... Even if they do, they will probably be very basic things that you can use common sense and figure out.
On the contrary, my regionals test was just 3 topo maps, with a lot of questions about them.
It was pretty hard, but i managed to get 3rd :)

Return to “2011 Study Events”