quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by quizbowl » November 3rd, 2010, 1:59 pm

rfscoach wrote:
sciencenerd13 wrote:Will topo maps and water table contour maps be a big part of the event? I get most of the other stuff, but I'm not too good with maps.
Depends. Topographic maps were a big part of the test last Saturday at the Atlanta Westminster Competition, but it really depends on the event supervisor.
Do you happen to have any tests that you could scan onto the test exchange, regardless of the event?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

HannahD413
Division: C
State: MI

Post by HannahD413 » November 5th, 2010, 6:14 pm

sciencenerd13 wrote:Will topo maps and water table contour maps be a big part of the event? I get most of the other stuff, but I'm not too good with maps.
It is really hit-or-miss. The rules say: "topics include, but are not limited to:", which mean that the test could be all about one topic, evenly distributed about every topic, or it could include absolutely none of the topics listed on the rules. Rfscoach got it as it is entirely up to the event supervisor and what they want to write a test about.

The topics listed on the rules are very important in studying, as that is the first place event supervisors do, or at least should, look at when writing the test, but in order to really be good at the event, you should go beyond the topics in the rules.

Anyway, if you can basically learn how to understand the topographic maps, such as what the contour lines are and how to use them, and the symbols are a good thing to put on your resource sheet.

katzmeow

Post by katzmeow » November 7th, 2010, 9:59 am

I'm currently studying for this event but I don't know much about it and I'm curious to see examples of questions. If anyone can post links/upload/send practice tests, that would be awesome :)

crazy77

Post by crazy77 » November 10th, 2010, 5:16 pm

So I'm kinda confused about the difference between an artesian and a non-artesian well. From what I can tell from the diagram on one of the links that the wiki provides, is it just one that penetrates the saturated zone instead of penetrating the unsaturated zone and then the saturated zone? In other words does it not penetrate the water table?

robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by robotman » November 10th, 2010, 6:17 pm

well an arttesian well is one that does not require a pump where as a normal well requires a pump or a bucket
Edit the [wiki][/wiki].
Upload to the Image Gallery
Get Medals

crazy77

Post by crazy77 » November 10th, 2010, 7:02 pm

yes but why?

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 » November 13th, 2010, 5:35 am

This picture really tells it all:
http://geology.com/articles/bottled-wat ... n-well.gif
The aquifer is between the two impermeable layers, but the zone or recharge (the place where water is added to the aquifer) is up hill and the aquifer slopes down enough to put the top of the well below the water level. This means that the water can rise up a well simply by water pressure. You will notice in the image that the Artesian well on the left is still a bit higher than the zone of recharge. So you would still have to pump the water up a little bit.

EDIT: Sorry, the picture showed up in the preview...
Last edited by Paradox21 on November 16th, 2010, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

crazy77

Post by crazy77 » November 16th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Am I the only one who can't see the "image"? Can you put just the link to the picture because the description is kinda hard to understand without it. Thanks for trying either way

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach » November 16th, 2010, 3:32 pm

crazy77 wrote:Am I the only one who can't see the "image"? Can you put just the link to the picture because the description is kinda hard to understand without it. Thanks for trying either way
Let's see if this will work.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/valocchi/cee457/gw_geol.html The 1st image shows an artesian aquifer
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

katzmeow

Post by katzmeow » November 27th, 2010, 4:59 pm

Could someone help me with karst features? I have basic information about what karts is and how it forms, and I have a whole list of features, but I can't find one source that just goes through each feature and explains how it's formed and what it looks like, etc. I know there are plenty for caves and sink holes, but I keep skipping over that looking for something that explains everything. Has anyone found a resource like that?

Edit - I think I actually have enough now, never mind :)
Last edited by katzmeow on November 28th, 2010, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2011 Study Events”