Dynamic Planet B/C

Shunken
Division: B
State: IL

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby Shunken » April 2nd, 2011, 9:13 pm

Hey guys, I was reading an article online and it briefly touched upon point bars. Could someone give me explain to me how they formed or the significance of them?
Regionals
Anatomy- 1st Place
Dynamic Planet- 1st Place
Compute This- 4th Place

Urbana Champagne
Anatomy- 1st Place
Dynamic Planet- 2nd Place
Compute This- 5th Place

mnstrviola
WikiMod Emeritus
WikiMod Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby mnstrviola » April 3rd, 2011, 8:02 am

*sigh* i've been working on my cheat sheet forever, yet I'm only on the 8th page.

mingtian
Division: C
State: PA

Postby mingtian » April 3rd, 2011, 10:49 am

Hey guys, I was reading an article online and it briefly touched upon point bars. Could someone give me explain to me how they formed or the significance of them?
Point bars are formed on the inner bend of a meandering stream. The water on the outside bend is faster so it can carry more suspended load. The inner bend is slower, so it can carry less suspended load. Since it can't hold all that suspended load, sediment is deposited on the inside curve of a meander. This forms a point bar.

ribonucleicacid621

Postby ribonucleicacid621 » April 3rd, 2011, 12:13 pm

*sigh* i've been working on my cheat sheet forever, yet I'm only on the 8th page.
You're only allowed 4 pgs front and back, so that means you're on your last pg :P
Valley Forge Invitational 2012:
1st Microbe Mission (with 50/94 lol), 3rd Dynamic Planet, 4th Chem Lab (sigh..)

Central MD Regionals 2012:
1st Forensics, 1st Dynamic Planet, 2nd Microbe Mission, 2nd Chem Lab, 2nd Anatomy

IdahoSciGuy
State: ID

Postby IdahoSciGuy » April 3rd, 2011, 4:23 pm

This has probably been mentioned before, but why such a random number of cheat sheets? It makes me feel weird writing the state test, and wondering if i'm not making it hard enough and such. They should have stuck to one sheet, in my opinion. thoughts?
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

personasaurus rex
State: NY

Postby personasaurus rex » April 3rd, 2011, 4:26 pm

This has probably been mentioned before, but why such a random number of cheat sheets? It makes me feel weird writing the state test, and wondering if i'm not making it hard enough and such. They should have stuck to one sheet, in my opinion. thoughts?
Well that was my opinion when I first heard the new rule, before the season started. However, after studying/competing, I'm actually grateful for more space. I'm an amazing organizer, so I really know how to conserve space on my note sheets, and there's just so much information for the new topic that even I was running out of room. It's not even just "Lakes and Rivers", but it's "Earth's Fresh Waters" so there could be anything on fresh waters, and the extra space was much needed.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

The Eviscerator
State: NC

Postby The Eviscerator » April 3rd, 2011, 4:40 pm

Before it used to be a binder for most events, but I think they have been trying to cut back on the amount of info teams can bring, so they chose 4 sheets for this year.
Plus, the only reason they had 1 sheet last year was because it was the second year in a row for Earthquakes and Volcanoes, so it'll probably be 1 sheet next year for Earth's Fresh Water.

^^ and personasaurus is completely right. This topic actually has a ton of information to learn, while Earthquakes and Volcanoes were a much narrower topic.

Also, I looked at the 2004 national test in one of those test packets (it was Dynamic Planet: Lakes and Rivers, so slightly more narrow) and it had coastline features (like tombolo, point bar, barrier island, etc.). Any thoughts on whether these types of things will show up this year?
Another questionable topic is estuaries. They have brackish water (typically about 17 ppt), so they aren't really freshwater, but not really saltwater either. What are your thoughts on whether these can show up?
Idaho, would you consider writing questions on coastline features and estuaries to be fair?

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » April 3rd, 2011, 5:05 pm

Before it used to be a binder for most events, but I think they have been trying to cut back on the amount of info teams can bring, so they chose 4 sheets for this year.
Plus, the only reason they had 1 sheet last year was because it was the second year in a row for Earthquakes and Volcanoes, so it'll probably be 1 sheet next year for Earth's Fresh Water.
It was 1 sheet for both the first and second year of Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » April 3rd, 2011, 5:55 pm

It was 1 sheet for both the first and second year of Earthquakes and Volcanoes.
Right. For Glaciers, we were allowed to bring a full book. A few years after that, Earthquakes and Volcanoes only allowed one sheet, front and back.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

The Eviscerator
State: NC

Postby The Eviscerator » April 3rd, 2011, 6:08 pm

Okay, I didn't know that. :oops:
Maybe it's just that Fresh Water is a larger topic then.

Return to “2011 Study Events”