Dynamic Planet B/C

The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby The Eviscerator » April 25th, 2011, 9:51 am

rfscoach wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote:Thanks.
Anybody have a good way of measuring the length of a stream on a topographic map without a string? We just kind of twisted the ruler around to get the length, which seemed kind of imprecise... :?

Photo copy a ruler on to the edge of one of your cheat sheets.

We already have that. It's how to measure it that gets imprecise...

mingtian
State: PA

Postby mingtian » April 27th, 2011, 5:39 pm

So is the Caspian Sea considered a lake or not? If asked on a test to rank the largest lakes, should I include it?

The Eviscerator

Postby The Eviscerator » April 27th, 2011, 5:50 pm

I would consider the Caspian Sea a lake; wikipedia says that it was formed from tectonic uplift, so it is basically a lake from natural damming. Plus, it has no outflow, rather just inflow of freshwater. Seas are usually connected to oceans. However, I'm not sure if people that write tests will consider it a lake because they might see the word sea and assume it is a sea.

personasaurus rex
State: NY

Postby personasaurus rex » April 28th, 2011, 1:18 pm

The Eviscerator wrote:I would consider the Caspian Sea a lake; wikipedia says that it was formed from tectonic uplift, so it is basically a lake from natural damming. Plus, it has no outflow, rather just inflow of freshwater. Seas are usually connected to oceans. However, I'm not sure if people that write tests will consider it a lake because they might see the word sea and assume it is a sea.

I don't think it's generally accepted as a lake (do correct me if I'm wrong), so I wouldn't put that in there.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

FueL
State: NY

Postby FueL » April 28th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Whether it's an inland sea or a lake is still being debated. I don't think a well-written test would have you make that distinction, but the only thing you can really do is explain the issue and try to get clarification on what the test writer's definition of "sea" is.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)

A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

The Eviscerator

Postby The Eviscerator » May 1st, 2011, 6:07 pm

Has anybody looked at the nationals tests from 2003 and 2004 (when it was Lakes and Rivers) and noticed how easy they were?
Hopefully the nationals test this year will be hard.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Postby Luo » May 1st, 2011, 6:13 pm

The Eviscerator wrote:Has anybody looked at the nationals tests from 2003 and 2004 (when it was Lakes and Rivers) and noticed how easy they were?

Where did you find those tests? They don't appear to be at Wright Center or on the test exchange.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

The Eviscerator

Postby The Eviscerator » May 1st, 2011, 6:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that past nationals tests (for the previous year) are sold at the end of each national tournament in test booklets. They're not online.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Postby Luo » May 1st, 2011, 6:38 pm

The Eviscerator wrote:I'm pretty sure that past nationals tests (for the previous year) are sold at the end of each national tournament in test booklets. They're not online.

Ah, I see. I'm surprised you actually have the test booklets from that far back.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

cuccoslayer97
State: KS

Postby cuccoslayer97 » May 1st, 2011, 6:57 pm

too bad that you can't get the booklets earlier. that would have made making the notes so much easier.
THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

emichan12
State: TX

Postby emichan12 » May 6th, 2011, 4:35 pm

does anybody have any good websites for the aging of rivers, or for the different kinds of deltas?

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » May 16th, 2011, 8:07 am

Div B National Event Supervisor is UW-Madison professor Brad Singer. Here is the link to his Geology 100 class web page. http://www.geology.wisc.edu/~chuck/Classes/Geo100/index.html He has full downloadable lecture notes. The practice tests he has posted do not cover lakes/streams/ground water but will come in handy next year for Rocks and Minerals.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Jimean716
State: FL

Postby Jimean716 » May 17th, 2011, 10:12 am

Hey, five days 'till Nationals in Madison. Anyway, here I am in Orlando completely clueless looking for a practice test for our last few study days. If anyone can plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz suggest a site reply ASAP!!! :geek:
Image---Viva La Florida!!!!

Jimean716

Postby Jimean716 » May 17th, 2011, 10:13 am

cuccoslayer97 wrote:too bad that you can't get the booklets earlier. that would have made making the notes so much easier.

Amen! :geek:

Jimean716

Postby Jimean716 » May 17th, 2011, 10:17 am

The Eviscerator wrote:Has anybody looked at the nationals tests from 2003 and 2004 (when it was Lakes and Rivers) and noticed how easy they were?

2003's actually pretty easy, this year's FL states was pretty difficult. They had an entire page devoted to making a contour map!!! :geek:

Return to “2011 Study Events”