Dynamic Planet B/C

User avatar
havenguy
Member
Member
Posts: 456
Joined: March 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby havenguy » May 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Why would it be reduced to one?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

personasaurus rex
Member
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: July 7th, 2010, 9:39 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby personasaurus rex » May 26th, 2011, 7:23 pm

havenguy wrote:Why would it be reduced to one?

Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

User avatar
The Eviscerator
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby The Eviscerator » May 26th, 2011, 7:44 pm

personasaurus rex wrote:
havenguy wrote:Why would it be reduced to one?

Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...

While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.

User avatar
havenguy
Member
Member
Posts: 456
Joined: March 3rd, 2011, 2:06 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby havenguy » May 27th, 2011, 3:26 am

The Eviscerator wrote:
personasaurus rex wrote:
havenguy wrote:Why would it be reduced to one?

Yeah that's interesting, you really think they'll do that? I know they had 1 for E&V but they started out with one the first year. There's just so much more vocab on this topic than E&V...

While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.


Maybe it's just you?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

personasaurus rex
Member
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: July 7th, 2010, 9:39 pm
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby personasaurus rex » May 27th, 2011, 12:53 pm

havenguy wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote:While there is a lot of stuff to know, there isn't so much that you really need to have it all written down. While initially I thought there was way too much stuff to know, after creating awesome note sheets and studying a lot, I committed most of it to memory, and hardly used my sheets at all at states and nationals. Although you're right; they might just stick with 4 sheets.


Maybe it's just you?

No he's right. After you study a lot most of it just comes off the top of your head. It's the formulas (maybe not even the formulas) and the really specific/obscure vocab and diagrams that really need the notes. I know when I made my note sheets i was looking for stuff to fill it all up with.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

sparky007
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Division: C
State: OH

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby sparky007 » June 25th, 2011, 9:03 am

So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)
2012 EVENTS
R&M!
Thermo Lab!
Sounds of Mooooosic!
Chem Lab!
Anatomy!
Water Quality!
Gravity Vehicle!
WOOOOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D D :D

User avatar
The Eviscerator
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby The Eviscerator » June 25th, 2011, 9:12 am

sparky007 wrote:So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)

The topic encompasses rivers, lakes, streams, groundwater, wetlands, and other things that I can't remember right now. No glaciers though as that is a separate event by itself.

Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 395
Joined: January 11th, 2009, 7:10 am
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby Paradox21 » June 25th, 2011, 9:14 am

sparky007 wrote:So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)

The event should stay about the same, I believe. You had to know about wetlands and bogs last year, so this year will likely not be different. Glaciers are a completely different topic for Dynamic Planet and will (probably) come back as a topic in a few years.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

User avatar
IdahoSciGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
Division: Grad
State: ID
Location: Gryffindor Tower

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby IdahoSciGuy » July 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Paradox21 wrote:
sparky007 wrote:So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)

The event should stay about the same, I believe. You had to know about wetlands and bogs last year, so this year will likely not be different. Glaciers are a completely different topic for Dynamic Planet and will (probably) come back as a topic in a few years.


Ugh.

I HATED glaciers wth a fiery Passion.....I'm so glad they aren't coming back till probably 2013 or so. Actually, my state kinda blew.off on the state test. I got some resources from Wikipedia in my binder, and it turned out I had, word for word, three quarters of the test. Needless to say, it stuck with me. Grrrrrrr.
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Member
Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby gneissisnice » July 10th, 2011, 5:25 pm

IdahoSciGuy wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:
sparky007 wrote:So how broad is this years topic? Obviously Earth's Freshwaters encompasses Rivers and Lakes, but are Glaciers and bogs (and such) included as well?
(Help me!)

The event should stay about the same, I believe. You had to know about wetlands and bogs last year, so this year will likely not be different. Glaciers are a completely different topic for Dynamic Planet and will (probably) come back as a topic in a few years.


Ugh.

I HATED glaciers wth a fiery Passion.....I'm so glad they aren't coming back till probably 2013 or so. Actually, my state kinda blew.off on the state test. I got some resources from Wikipedia in my binder, and it turned out I had, word for word, three quarters of the test. Needless to say, it stuck with me. Grrrrrrr.


I was pretty good at glaciers, and my coach was a huge glaciers nut (the only thing he likes better than glaciers are fossils and rocks and minerals), but it was honestly one of the most boring events I've ever done. I've had some decently challenging tests, but just as often, I had mindnumbingly easy tests with horrible diagrams (we had a diagram where we had to label the different features of a glacier and its deposits, and it had like 5 arrows just pointing either at nothing or all at the same thing, it was impossible to see what they were pointing at).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

User avatar
IdahoSciGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
Division: Grad
State: ID
Location: Gryffindor Tower

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby IdahoSciGuy » July 10th, 2011, 5:34 pm

gneissisnice wrote:I was pretty good at glaciers, and my coach was a huge glaciers nut (the only thing he likes better than glaciers are fossils and rocks and minerals), but it was honestly one of the most boring events I've ever done. I've had some decently challenging tests, but just as often, I had mindnumbingly easy tests with horrible diagrams (we had a diagram where we had to label the different features of a glacier and its deposits, and it had like 5 arrows just pointing either at nothing or all at the same thing, it was impossible to see what they were pointing at).


Yeah, I metaled both years for that event. I agree on the boring factor. I never really had an invigorating test. In fact, most of my tests felt like they moved at the pace of the topic! Of course, the only tests I've seen came from practice or the state finals, so my exposure is limited. Im sure there are some decent ones out there.

OH, and the diagrams were HORRIFIC! I swear the procter made it in Paint! *shudder*
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Member
Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 927
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 9:10 am
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby gneissisnice » July 10th, 2011, 6:57 pm

IdahoSciGuy wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:I was pretty good at glaciers, and my coach was a huge glaciers nut (the only thing he likes better than glaciers are fossils and rocks and minerals), but it was honestly one of the most boring events I've ever done. I've had some decently challenging tests, but just as often, I had mindnumbingly easy tests with horrible diagrams (we had a diagram where we had to label the different features of a glacier and its deposits, and it had like 5 arrows just pointing either at nothing or all at the same thing, it was impossible to see what they were pointing at).


Yeah, I metaled both years for that event. I agree on the boring factor. I never really had an invigorating test. In fact, most of my tests felt like they moved at the pace of the topic! Of course, the only tests I've seen came from practice or the state finals, so my exposure is limited. Im sure there are some decent ones out there.

OH, and the diagrams were HORRIFIC! I swear the procter made it in Paint! *shudder*


Bad diagrams were the worst.

"Oh, that's pointing to the lateral moraine. Wait...that arrow's also pointing to the lateral moraine. And so is that one. Maybe it's pointing at...no, wait...ugh."
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

User avatar
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 302
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 10:39 am
Division: Grad
State: KS
Location: Universitas Dallasensis

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby FullMetalMaple » July 10th, 2011, 9:12 pm

gneissisnice wrote:Bad diagrams were the worst.

"Oh, that's pointing to the lateral moraine. Wait...that arrow's also pointing to the lateral moraine. And so is that one. Maybe it's pointing at...no, wait...ugh."

I remember having something like that on my state test, too. Actually, I had bad diagrams on a couple of tests. They are rather difficult to work with... I've seen things completely mislabeled before. :|

User avatar
IdahoSciGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
Division: Grad
State: ID
Location: Gryffindor Tower

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby IdahoSciGuy » July 11th, 2011, 9:53 am

FullMetalMaple wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:Bad diagrams were the worst.

"Oh, that's pointing to the lateral moraine. Wait...that arrow's also pointing to the lateral moraine. And so is that one. Maybe it's pointing at...no, wait...ugh."

I remember having something like that on my state test, too. Actually, I had bad diagrams on a couple of tests. They are rather difficult to work with... I've seen things completely mislabeled before. :|


I wouldn't expect a lot of bad diagrams in Fresh Water, only because most of the diagrams and figure should be in enough detail that it shouldn't be hard to place things with labels. But, I guess where there is a will, there is a way.....

Anyway, Do you think they will expand the range of material covered this upcoming year, or go more in depth into the previous years material?
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Member
Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

sassyscientist
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 16th, 2011, 12:38 pm
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby sassyscientist » July 23rd, 2011, 11:50 am

Does anyone know when there will be an "outline" for each event this upcoming year? I'm sorry if I seem like a moron for asking this, but I just got into Science O last year and I really got into it. This year I wanted too start earlier so that I will be more prepared than I was last year.


Return to “2011 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest