Fossils B/C

winnn
Division: C

Re: Fossils B/C

Postby winnn » April 17th, 2011, 11:26 am

it seems like different proctors use different sources too so there's no way of knowing the right one 100% of the time

username1
State: NC

Postby username1 » April 18th, 2011, 3:20 pm

So how should I study for modes of preservation? Should I just be looking at pictures of the various modes and trying to recognize them or is there something else I should be doing?

Also, what do I need to known as far as dating? Should I just google the things under these categories on the rule sheet or is there more I should look for?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb.... I have a tendency of missing the obvious.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » April 18th, 2011, 3:43 pm

So how should I study for modes of preservation? Should I just be looking at pictures of the various modes and trying to recognize them or is there something else I should be doing?

Also, what do I need to known as far as dating? Should I just google the things under these categories on the rule sheet or is there more I should look for?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb.... I have a tendency of missing the obvious.
Looking at pictures is good for modes of preservation. That's an important part of the event, you should be able to recognize all the different kinds. I would also learn about what the processes of preservation actually are and how they differ from one another (I'm still fuzzy on the whole petrification/petrifaction/permineralization/mineral replacement thing).

For dating, you should know relative and absolute. For relative, be able to recognize that older layers are on the bottom and younger is on top (assuming Original Horizontality; don't assume there's any kind of overturning unless specified), and use index fossils to be give the relative age of layers. For absolute, know radioactive dating techniques (you don't have to go too deep into those; don't bother learning the exact procedure or learning every single kind of dating), and know about half-life and how to read a half-life chart. Carbon-14 is probably the most well known dating isotope, but with such a short half-life (5700 years), it's only useful for dating human artifacts and fossils of the late Cenozoic; it's unreliable after 40,000 years or so.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby junexia » April 19th, 2011, 3:50 pm

what is the order of the corals on the list? in my field guide it says the order of favosites is favositida, but on other online sources it says it is tabulata. which one is it? and are tabulata, rugosa, and Scleractinia orders?
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet

sciencegeek100
State: CA

Postby sciencegeek100 » April 19th, 2011, 11:06 pm

what is the order of the corals on the list? in my field guide it says the order of favosites is favositida, but on other online sources it says it is tabulata. which one is it? and are tabulata, rugosa, and Scleractinia orders?
get the list off the scioly website and use what is on the list... even if its out dated because like the birds list they don't always update the taxa on the list to what is currently being used...
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)

junexia
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby junexia » April 20th, 2011, 7:59 am

the fossils list doesn't say the order for any of the specimens, so i wasn't sure what to put
Events for 2011:
Ornithology <3, Fossils, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Dynamic Planet

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » April 20th, 2011, 8:22 am

Any one interested in a hands on fossils experience? Emery County Utah does a high school Paleontology Camp every summer. 5 days days in the end of June, reasonable priced ( a steal if you happen to live in Utah). It appears to be residential camp, not commuter. Check it out. It was on our list of possibilities for Spudnuggits this year, but he just got accepted to NOAA Weather Camp. WOOT! (see the NY thread for weather camp info. The NYC location is still accepting applications)

General 2011 info: http://www.emerycounty.com/educationcamps/
Application: http://www.emerycounty.com/educationcam ... ration.pdf
Old Flyer with more info: http://www.emerycounty.com/educationcam ... gyCamp.pdf
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Bennett
Division: B
State: WI

Postby Bennett » April 20th, 2011, 9:22 am

All of the topics that are on the page what topics do you think that I should surly know? And what topics are not so important.
STORM THE CASTLE IS THE BEST!

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » April 20th, 2011, 10:20 am

All of the topics that are on the page what topics do you think that I should surly know? And what topics are not so important.
...All of them. They're all on the page, and they're all fair game. There's no reason not to learn anything on the page, just study it all.

That being said, identification is the most important part of this event. You need to be good enough with your ID that you can identify the specimen on sight, or at least narrow it down so you can quickly check your binder and make sure.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

username1
State: NC

Postby username1 » April 21st, 2011, 3:43 am

What was the final consensus on distinguishing Dactylioceras and Nautilus?

Return to “2011 Study Events”