mingtian
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by mingtian » March 28th, 2011, 7:17 pm

FueL wrote:
starshine wrote:Did anyone, by any chance, take the Solon Invitational Meteorology test? If you did, what'd you think of it?
I just took it, but had some issues with some of the questions.

1. For for 48-49, the key's explanation on how a tornado forms is wrong.
2. For 59-61, I couldn't see the cloud.
3. For 85-88, I wasn't sure what "category" the questions were referring to. The answer key had some kind of number scale, but I don't know what it's supposed to represent.
4. 80-84 just asks you to label the diagram but isn't specific about it (and I couldn't see the picture very well). I thought 80 was pointing to the eye wall, for example, but the answer was "convection current".

Overall though, it wasn't a bad test. It would've been nice if there were more short answer questions.
I took it at Solon. There's a lot of map interpretation and drawing isobars and isotherms in entire maps. It's very time consuming- drawing wise. The questions were ok hard.

MMeteorite1
State: OH

Post by MMeteorite1 » March 28th, 2011, 8:10 pm

I will tell you that the winning score at Solon was 89/100

The problem with short answer questions, it that it leaves some interpretation up to the scorer. It was amazing when I compared my answers to my teammates (we had 2 teams from our school competiting) and the variances. Answer: fair weather. my answer: clear skies-wrong, teammate-no weather-correct, love my teammates but one thing my coach always says, there may be good, weather, and there may be bad weather, but there is always weather. It was evident that there were 2 different people scoring the test. Anyway, at the end of the day, we all take the same test and most of the best schools/teams still prevailed. Gives you a better idea of what to prepare for. No big deal, off to states in a month. Best of luck to all.

starshine
Division: B
State: NY

Post by starshine » March 29th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Oh I see. I took it as well, and it was ok, I guess. We got the whole warm/cool front chart in the front wrong :(
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran » April 3rd, 2011, 4:52 pm

My team's coach gave us a lot of isobar handouts with some pressure readings and we were told to draw the isobars in and identify the high and low pressure systems. I've spent a considerable amount of time taking these tests as they are simple once you get started but are still time consuming. Has anyone taken tests dealing with drawing isobars this year in either the Regional's or States? The test that my partner and I took at regionals was oddly a lot more simple than I thought and I knew that if we didn't make it past Regional all that studying would be in vain. Can someone recall some of the topics covered on the state tests, more spefically than severe storms? I understand that its different from state to state but it'll give my team and I an idea of what to study, more than what is offered on the rule sheet and resources provided.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

starshine

Post by starshine » April 3rd, 2011, 5:32 pm

Tramsarran wrote:My team's coach gave us a lot of isobar handouts with some pressure readings and we were told to draw the isobars in and identify the high and low pressure systems. I've spent a considerable amount of time taking these tests as they are simple once you get started but are still time consuming. Has anyone taken tests dealing with drawing isobars this year in either the Regional's or States? The test that my partner and I took at regionals was oddly a lot more simple than I thought and I knew that if we didn't make it past Regional all that studying would be in vain. Can someone recall some of the topics covered on the state tests, more spefically than severe storms? I understand that its different from state to state but it'll give my team and I an idea of what to study, more than what is offered on the rule sheet and resources provided.
I actually have only taken one practice event where we had to label isobars, not even draw them. This wasn't the Regionals event I took this year though. I haven't been to States with this topic though, maybe there's a practice event out there? The Illinois 2005 practice event was kinda iffy. It wasn't the greatest event I've done.

FueL

Post by FueL » April 3rd, 2011, 5:36 pm

Tramsarran wrote:My team's coach gave us a lot of isobar handouts with some pressure readings and we were told to draw the isobars in and identify the high and low pressure systems. I've spent a considerable amount of time taking these tests as they are simple once you get started but are still time consuming. Has anyone taken tests dealing with drawing isobars this year in either the Regional's or States? The test that my partner and I took at regionals was oddly a lot more simple than I thought and I knew that if we didn't make it past Regional all that studying would be in vain. Can someone recall some of the topics covered on the state tests, more spefically than severe storms? I understand that its different from state to state but it'll give my team and I an idea of what to study, more than what is offered on the rule sheet and resources provided.
It does vary from state to state, and each state has a unique test writer that's going to come up with different questions and test formats. It's likely that what one state has will be completely different from what you'll see. If you want sample tests, look on the scioly test exchange.

I took the NY state meteorology test last year, and assuming the writer doesn't change the test is very fair. If I remember correctly, we did have to draw in isobars according to the station models, and most of the info in the rules manual was tested in some form. There was an emphasis on radar/map/graphical interpretation.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

starshine

Post by starshine » April 3rd, 2011, 5:39 pm

FueL wrote:
It does vary from state to state, and each state has a unique test writer that's going to come up with different questions and test formats. It's likely that what one state has will be completely different from what you'll see. If you want sample tests, look on the scioly test exchange.

I took the NY state meteorology test last year, and assuming the writer doesn't change the test is very fair. If I remember correctly, we did have to draw in isobars according to the station models, and most of the info in the rules manual was tested in some form. There was an emphasis on radar/map/graphical interpretation.
I think he/she is from NY too, FueL.

I believe in NY, the writer hasn't changed from the previous years. I assume that the test is fair, based on your description.
Do we need to know what happens in different scenarios? If you look at one of the events in the test exchange, there are some scenarios and you would choose which way you would choose.
(Time to remake the notesheet...)

skillfullparrot7
State: CA

Post by skillfullparrot7 » April 3rd, 2011, 5:43 pm

On my state test there were questions on tornadoes and hurricanes. Some of the hurricane questions were on famous ones. And then there were questions about the structure of thunderstorms. There were even some questions abour everyday weather, like a weather station, isobars, etc.
"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

FueL

Post by FueL » April 3rd, 2011, 6:27 pm

@starshine: Yeah, it's good to know what to do if you're caught in severe weather. I don't remember last year's test too well, so I'm not that much of a help. XD
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

starshine

Post by starshine » April 3rd, 2011, 6:36 pm

FueL wrote:@starshine: Yeah, it's good to know what to do if you're caught in severe weather. I don't remember last year's test too well, so I'm not that much of a help. XD
No, it's fine! And sometimes those scenarios are opinionated. Just wondering, that's all.
Do we have to know major severe weather events?

Return to “2011 Study Events”