Meteorology B

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » May 25th, 2011, 8:34 pm

starshine wrote:Oh. It looks like we got the exact opposite XD
And 39th isn't bad. Plus, since the test was fairly easy, it may have been hard to separate the teams.


Yep, Flash Flooding is most deadly followed by Tornadoes, Lightning and Hurricanes. That is what I checked after the test on NOAA.
Well Meteorology is my favorite event in S.O., so it was really disappointing.

Onto climate change now!
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
starshine
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Meteorology B

Postby starshine » May 26th, 2011, 12:28 pm

tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote:Oh. It looks like we got the exact opposite XD
And 39th isn't bad. Plus, since the test was fairly easy, it may have been hard to separate the teams.


Yep, Flash Flooding is most deadly followed by Tornadoes, Lightning and Hurricanes. That is what I checked after the test on NOAA.
Well Meteorology is my favorite event in S.O., so it was really disappointing.

Onto climate change now!


Oh, ok. Thanks for checking! :D
Anyone know the rules for Climate by any chance?
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » May 26th, 2011, 12:55 pm

starshine wrote:Oh, ok. Thanks for checking! :D
Anyone know the rules for Climate by any chance?


I took climate a couple years ago for my first year on S.O.... I know that you have to learn the difference between La Nina and El Nino. Learn the characteristics of each. Also the Koppin Classification System. Major types of fronts and boundaries throughout the world... That is the basics of what I know for climate. :)
As for the official rules though, those don't come out until August or September.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
starshine
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Meteorology B

Postby starshine » May 26th, 2011, 4:52 pm

tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote:Oh, ok. Thanks for checking! :D
Anyone know the rules for Climate by any chance?


I took climate a couple years ago for my first year on S.O.... I know that you have to learn the difference between La Nina and El Nino. Learn the characteristics of each. Also the Koppin Classification System. Major types of fronts and boundaries throughout the world... That is the basics of what I know for climate. :)
As for the official rules though, those don't come out until August or September.


Oh ok. I don't know too much about that kind of stuff. I would guess notesheet, right?
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » May 26th, 2011, 6:39 pm

starshine wrote:
tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote:Oh, ok. Thanks for checking! :D
Anyone know the rules for Climate by any chance?


I took climate a couple years ago for my first year on S.O.... I know that you have to learn the difference between La Nina and El Nino. Learn the characteristics of each. Also the Koppin Classification System. Major types of fronts and boundaries throughout the world... That is the basics of what I know for climate. :)
As for the official rules though, those don't come out until August or September.


Oh ok. I don't know too much about that kind of stuff. I would guess notesheet, right?


That would be a good idea. Especially for the Koppen system..
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
starshine
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Meteorology B

Postby starshine » May 27th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Would Meteorology ever require a binder for any of the units? (Everyday Weather, Severe Storms, Climate)
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » May 27th, 2011, 2:55 pm

starshine wrote:Would Meteorology ever require a binder for any of the units? (Everyday Weather, Severe Storms, Climate)


I've done the whole cycle for Meteorology, and no you can't bring a binder or field guide into the event. You may only bring in a double sided piece of 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper filled with notes... Binders or field guides are really only needed for more of ID events like, Ornithology, Fossils etc..
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
starshine
Member
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: June 25th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Meteorology B

Postby starshine » May 27th, 2011, 5:39 pm

tornado guy wrote:
starshine wrote:Would Meteorology ever require a binder for any of the units? (Everyday Weather, Severe Storms, Climate)


I've done the whole cycle for Meteorology, and no you can't bring a binder or field guide into the event. You may only bring in a double sided piece of 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper filled with notes... Binders or field guides are really only needed for more of ID events like, Ornithology, Fossils etc..


That's what I thought. Meteorology probably wouldn't even require a binder. The notesheet is good enough.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)

User avatar
IdahoSciGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
Division: Grad
State: ID
Location: Gryffindor Tower

Re: Meteorology B

Postby IdahoSciGuy » July 11th, 2011, 10:16 am

When I was in middle school, they allowed binders, books, you name it. Now, its only a sheet of paper. boy, the times have changed!

Things to look for this upcoming year:
Koeppen Classification system
ENSO- El Nino-Southern Oscillation
La Nina
Once I find my climate papers, ill add more to this list...
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Member
Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » July 12th, 2011, 10:14 am

IdahoSciGuy wrote:Things to look for this upcoming year:
Koeppen Classification system
ENSO- El Nino-Southern Oscillation
La Nina
Once I find my climate papers, ill add more to this list...


There is also the Ice Ages and warmer periods (ie Interglacial periods, Younger-Dryas, mid-Holocene maximum etc..). Data to reconstruct past climatic history is key too in Climate Change.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
IdahoSciGuy
Member
Member
Posts: 144
Joined: April 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
Division: Grad
State: ID
Location: Gryffindor Tower

Re: Meteorology B

Postby IdahoSciGuy » July 12th, 2011, 10:34 am

Yeah, the three milankovich cycles were on the last time I did climate.
Also on there was stuff on Radiation dispersement and absorbtion, albedo, and things like that.

Fun Thought: If there are focusing on climate change, you you think core analysis might be on there?
Actually, if you don't mind, it's just the doctor. - Doctor Who.

Member
Board of Directors
Idaho Science Olympiad

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » July 12th, 2011, 11:19 am

IdahoSciGuy wrote:Yeah, the three milankovich cycles were on the last time I did climate.
Also on there was stuff on Radiation dispersement and absorbtion, albedo, and things like that.

Fun Thought: If there are focusing on climate change, you you think core analysis might be on there?


In my book one of the 7 resources to reconstruct climate is deuterium ratios in ice cores.. I would just do a broad study of Climate.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

User avatar
abator
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 6:08 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Location: In the Library getting books for Science Olympiad

Re: Meteorology B

Postby abator » August 14th, 2011, 9:38 pm

For climate you would need to know clouds well.


State 2011
6th Meteorology
1st event in my school's history to place=)
9th Battery Buggy
Placement: Gold: 13 Silver: 4 Bronze: 6 4th: 5 5th: 9 6th: 5 7th: 2 8th: 3
Team Captain 8-)

User avatar
ReBobville
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: May 14th, 2011, 5:51 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Meteorology B

Postby ReBobville » August 15th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Climate is really just a big analysis of the global weather patterns. be sure to know koppian system. Also know the different types of climate zones! (tundra etc..)

I'm going nuts with out anything to excessively study
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!

Re: Meteorology B

Postby tornado guy » August 16th, 2011, 8:48 am

ReBobville wrote:Climate is really just a big analysis of the global weather patterns. be sure to know koppian system. Also know the different types of climate zones! (tundra etc..)

I'm going nuts with out anything to excessively study


Past, present and possible future weather patterns...
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.


Return to “2011 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest