Astronomy C

JCicc
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by JCicc »

I think the astronomy topic rotates back to stellar evolution next year.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

JCicc wrote:I think the astronomy topic rotates back to stellar evolution next year.
That would be awesome, but I think there will be another year of galaxies first....
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
salcedam
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by salcedam »

rfscoach wrote:
JCicc wrote:I think the astronomy topic rotates back to stellar evolution next year.
That would be awesome, but I think there will be another year of galaxies first....
I've heard rumors of both so I guess we won't find out which is true until the official rules come out...gah...I wish we didn't have to wait so long... :cry:
2011 - 2012 Season Results:
Whiting, IN - Astro (1st), 4N6 (2nd), Fermi (2nd)
Boyceville, WI - Astro (3rd), 4N6 (1st)
Belvidere, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (2nd)
WSU, OH - 4N6 (12th)
Loyola, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st), TPS (3rd)
OCC Regional - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st)
UCF Nationals - 4N6 (8th)
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

I would love stellar evolution... but I would love another year with galaxies too! :lol:
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Stellar evolution would be cool, but in my opinion there's not as much you can do with stellar evolution rather than galaxies.

JCicc, what school are you from? I notice you have PA C listed in your profile. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
JCicc
Division: C

Post by JCicc »

I'm from Penncrest.
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

By that I think he meant middle-earth.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I think that red dwarves, after proficently burning hydrogen for billions of years, slowly collapse into black dwarfs.
Sun-like stars become red giants, and fluctuate greatly in temperature and brightness. Then they collapse into white dwarves.
Large stars become red supergiants, which vary even more than red giants. Then they explode as supernovae. If the core of the star is about 1.4 to 3.2 times the mass of the sun, it becomes a neutron star. If the core is more than 3.2 solar masses, it collapses into a black hole.

Have I got this right?
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

Cheesy Pie wrote:I think that red dwarves, after proficently burning hydrogen for billions of years, slowly collapse into black dwarfs.
Sun-like stars become red giants, and fluctuate greatly in temperature and brightness. Then they collapse into white dwarves.
Large stars become red supergiants, which vary even more than red giants. Then they explode as supernovae. If the core of the star is about 1.4 to 3.2 times the mass of the sun, it becomes a neutron star. If the core is more than 3.2 solar masses, it collapses into a black hole.

Have I got this right?
Nothing there seems out of place off the top of my head.
Also, be sure to know what's being burned (and where) in a star during those various stages of its life.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Ok. And I have this huge space book that has info on every planets and some satellites. It has info on stars, nebulas, supernova remnants, galaxies, and other cosmology. The only downfall is that it is really bulky. I forgot the title.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

Return to “2011 Study Events”