Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by brobo »

Why they appear, what causes them, etc. That kind of falls under "things to know about the Sun and CME, solar flares, and the solar winds"
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Brobo, it's actually specifically mentioned under 3i. "Auroras, magnetic fields, meteors, meteor showers and crater-producing events".

This is what I had in my notes about auroras (mostly from Wikipedia):

Ions flow away from the sun in a stream of plasma known as the solar wind. When the plasma comes into contact with Earth's magnetic field, the ions excite gases in the atmosphere. As molecules collide and/or emit light, they release that energy and return to a lower energy state. The spectacular colors of the aurora are the emissions from the excited molecules. Oxygen produces brownish-red (only high up in the atmosphere, where it's less dense and there's more oxygen) and green auroras, while nitrogen produces blue or red. At high altitude oxygen red dominates, then oxygen green and nitrogen blue/red, then finally nitrogen blue/red when collisions prevent oxygen from emitting anything. Auroras are more likely to occur at higher latitudes and particularly near Earth's Magnetic Poles. However, during times of increased solar activity (when there are more sunspots and flares), the aurora can be seen further south and in extraordinary cases, as far south as Florida and Texas.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't magnetic fields in the rules last year (and therefore shouldn't be bolded as new)?
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
HannahD413
State: MI

Post by HannahD413 »

AlphaTauri wrote:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't magnetic fields in the rules last year (and therefore shouldn't be bolded as new)?
I was just looking at last years rules since you mentioned it and this is what I found:
Last Year's Rules wrote: i. Auroras, meteors, meteor showers, crater-producing events, magnetic fields, ect.
This Year's Rules wrote:This year: "i. Auroras, magnetic fields, meteors, meteor showers and crater-producing events"
Apparently they flipped the order and got rid of the "ect.", so they bolded it as if it were new.

Other than the change to topic group n, the only differences are the order for topic group i, the word natural added before satellites, and the word gaseous to replace the word giant.
Last edited by HannahD413 on November 5th, 2010, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tying15
Division: B
State: KS

Post by tying15 »

AlphaTauri wrote:Brobo, it's actually specifically mentioned under 3i. "Auroras, magnetic fields, meteors, meteor showers and crater-producing events".

This is what I had in my notes about auroras (mostly from Wikipedia):

Ions flow away from the sun in a stream of plasma known as the solar wind. When the plasma comes into contact with Earth's magnetic field, the ions excite gases in the atmosphere. As molecules collide and/or emit light, they release that energy and return to a lower energy state. The spectacular colors of the aurora are the emissions from the excited molecules. Oxygen produces brownish-red (only high up in the atmosphere, where it's less dense and there's more oxygen) and green auroras, while nitrogen produces blue or red. At high altitude oxygen red dominates, then oxygen green and nitrogen blue/red, then finally nitrogen blue/red when collisions prevent oxygen from emitting anything. Auroras are more likely to occur at higher latitudes and particularly near Earth's Magnetic Poles. However, during times of increased solar activity (when there are more sunspots and flares), the aurora can be seen further south and in extraordinary cases, as far south as Florida and Texas.

Thanks
I got 2nd place in WIDI Kansas state competition in 2010-2011!
waawamellon
State: KS

Post by waawamellon »

I have an invitational TOMARROW!
I have all my notes and stuff ready except this event!!
I'm not trying to sound too desperate, but does anybody have somthing I can put in my notes that isnt strait from the Wiki??
please?
:|
****** MUCH TIME LATER ****

Okay I think I got it : D
thanks for the help :roll:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

I just uploaded the Solar System Test that I made for the Fulton Science Academy Div B Invitational that was held on Sat. Dec. 11, 2010. I gave it a test run on one member of the FSA 2010 National Team (9th in Solar System) earlier in the week. He scored 55/60. Top scores at the competition were 44, 42, 38, 35. Any feed back about the format and questions would be appreciated.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
Epicfail21
State: CA

Post by Epicfail21 »

Would Pluto still be the answer to the smallest planet, or would the answer be Mercury?
HannahD413

Post by HannahD413 »

Mercury, I would assume, since Pluto is no longer a planet, thus it cannot be the smallest one.
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by brobo »

Epicfail21 wrote:Would Pluto still be the answer to the smallest planet, or would the answer be Mercury?
That really depends on what your proctor thinks. At a tournament earlier in the year, the proctor told us to consider Pluto a planet, while at other tournaments pluto wasn't a planet. I would ask your proctor just to be sure. "Better to be safe than sorry!"
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
HannahD413

Post by HannahD413 »

rfscoach wrote:I just uploaded the Solar System Test that I made for the Fulton Science Academy Div B Invitational that was held on Sat. Dec. 11, 2010. I gave it a test run on one member of the FSA 2010 National Team (9th in Solar System) earlier in the week. He scored 55/60. Top scores at the competition were 44, 42, 38, 35. Any feed back about the format and questions would be appreciated.
I can't find this, where is it uploaded? I checked the 2011 Test Exchange and it is not showing up.

Return to “2011 Study Events”