Road Scholar B

JSGandora
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by JSGandora »

melody2k6 wrote:Sorry, this is off topic, but it's something I've always wondered: does the number in a lake on a topo map mean the surface elevation or depth of the lake? I have a feeling it's the surface elevation, but I'm not sure.
robotman09 wrote:If I remember correctly it is surface elevation.
However there is the possibility of descending contours in a lake i think if you look on maps that show the Great Lakes Shoreline you will see descending contours look at this map
Just to clarify, when the number is printed in black slanted text,then it's the water surface elevation of normal water level. When printed in blue slanted type, it's the maximum water depth.
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

For a Transverse Mercator Map, does the easting set back to zero for every meridian of longitude? Because the supplemental information in the North Carolina Science Olympiad website says:
A central meridian through the middle of each 6° zone is assigned an easting value of 500,000 meters. Grid values to the west of this central meridian are less than 500,000; to the east, more than 500,000.
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

In the past Road Scholar competitions section at Wright Center for Science Education, the first two tests - The Mystery Man, and To Catch a Thief both require the Rand-McNally Michigan Highway Map, which I believe is found here. However, would the Official 2009 Department of Transportation Map of Michigan work as well? This map also came with the Road Scholar Coach's Handbook from the National Science Olympiad store.
MrsKingCMS
Division: B
State: CA

Post by MrsKingCMS »

This is our first year competing in Road Scholar - and we noticed that there aren't any details on the notes or reference materials that the students can bring. Are there restrictions? Typed/pages/pictures allowed?....etc...

please help!
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

You should be allowed a full binder with anything and everything [printed], so long as it fits in the binder.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

Can anybody answer my question please? Basically, is there such a significant difference between Rand-McNally Michigan Highway Map and the Official 2009 Department of Transportation Map of Michigan that I can't do the practice tests at tufts?
JSGandora wrote:In the past Road Scholar competitions section at Wright Center for Science Education, the first two tests - The Mystery Man, and To Catch a Thief both require the Rand-McNally Michigan Highway Map, which I believe is found here. However, would the Official 2009 Department of Transportation Map of Michigan work as well? This map also came with the Road Scholar Coach's Handbook from the National Science Olympiad store.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

If it's just for a practice test and you don't have a required test... I'd just say go with what you've got and do your best.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Hi,
How many seconds are in a section of a map?

TIA
JSGandora

Post by JSGandora »

Well, we know it's a map, therefore each section contains . We know that there are 60 seconds in a minute so there must be in a section.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Thanks JSGandora. Logic fails me at times.
Another question.

So on a test, I had to draw a railroad that entered Section 12/36 15635" west of the NE corner.
Is it referring to seconds west of the corner, or inches?
If it were seconds, that'd be impossible to draw, since it'd be outside the section, right?

Return to “2011 Study Events”