Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

haverstall wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote:Does anybody think that we will have to be able to calculate the energy of a wave from its wavelength?
The thought just occurred to me, and even though I've never seen it on a test before, it does seem related to the concepts of Remote Sensing.
DEFINITELY. In all of my Remote tests, a question has come up pertaining to this.
Really? I've never come across it. What tests were these, and do you think you could provide some example questions?
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
haverstall
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by haverstall »

I don't currently have the tests with me right now, but I'll try to get those questions.

Questions about wavelength, energy, and frequency for some reason come up on all the tests I've taken this year.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
The Eviscerator
Division: C
State: NC

Post by The Eviscerator »

Does anybody know if the national event supervisor (van Hecke, I think) writes any tests for the individual states?
If he writes your state's test, then what kind of questions does he put on the tests?
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

The Eviscerator wrote:Does anybody know if the national event supervisor (van Hecke, I think) writes any tests for the individual states?
If he writes your state's test, then what kind of questions does he put on the tests?
If he's the same guy that wrote it two years ago at Nats, I remember a bit of the test.

It was almost entirely satellite questions. There were questions on specific satellites and their roles. A few maps were there too; I remember one of them, it showed annual temperatures across Canada and you had to answer questions based off that.

I don't know much of the specifics though, because I had focused on the environmental part (wasn't even on the test) while my partner did the entire event because he focused on satellites. There was also a graph based tie-breaker.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

As promised, the question:

Ok, so I exaggerated a bit when I said it was on every test I've taken this year. I only found it on one of my invitational tests, but I'm pretty positive there was a question like this on the States test.

"Calculate the energy associated with a photon of near infrared light of wavelength 1000nm"

To solve this, my partner created a entire table comparing energies to wavelengths of different types of light. We basically took the table from my chem teacher's quantum notes. :D

Also, another good thing to look up is emissivity and peak energy emission wavelength questions. For some reason, both of those types of questions have popped up on my tests also.
I can post examples of those questions also if you need them.

The Eviscerator

gneissisnice wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote:Does anybody know if the national event supervisor (van Hecke, I think) writes any tests for the individual states?
If he's the same guy that wrote it two years ago at Nats, I remember a bit of the test.

It was almost entirely satellite questions. There were questions on specific satellites and their roles. A few maps were there too; I remember one of them, it showed annual temperatures across Canada and you had to answer questions based off that.

I don't know much of the specifics though, because I had focused on the environmental part (wasn't even on the test) while my partner did the entire event because he focused on satellites. There was also a graph based tie-breaker.
Thanks. I think it was probably the same guy. I'm just looking to gauge the difficulty of the test, because my sources in north carolina all say that the nationals tests in Remote Sensing are easier than the ones that we have at states.
haverstall wrote:As promised, the question:

Ok, so I exaggerated a bit when I said it was on every test I've taken this year. I only found it on one of my invitational tests, but I'm pretty positive there was a question like this on the States test.

"Calculate the energy associated with a photon of near infrared light of wavelength 1000nm"

To solve this, my partner created a entire table comparing energies to wavelengths of different types of light. We basically took the table from my chem teacher's quantum notes. :D

Also, another good thing to look up is emissivity and peak energy emission wavelength questions. For some reason, both of those types of questions have popped up on my tests also.
I can post examples of those questions also if you need them.
Can you post those questions too? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by emiisivity and peak energy emission wavelength questions.
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

The Eviscerator wrote: Can you post those questions too? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by emiisivity and peak energy emission wavelength questions.
Emissivity

"Calculate the total energy by an object per unit surface area per unit time at a temperature of 2000 K and an emissivity of 0.25."
Tips on answering this question: There's some random constants that you use to figure this out. There also a complicated formula you use for this, but I can't remember where to find it. :(

EDIT: I found a site which may be helpful for the above question. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/radia ... d_431.html This site basically covers the equations for emissivity.

Peak energy emission:

"Calculate the wavelength of peak energy emission for an object at a temperature of 6000 K."
Tips on answering this question: This question is based on Wien's law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien%27s_Law

Hopefully you're good with calculations, because these questions are basically just plugging the given info in a formula, and writing down the answer. I tend to like these questions (math and all that), but I can see why someone wouldn't.

The Eviscerator

haverstall wrote:
The Eviscerator wrote: Can you post those questions too? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by emiisivity and peak energy emission wavelength questions.
Emissivity

"Calculate the total energy by an object per unit surface area per unit time at a temperature of 2000 K and an emissivity of 0.25."
Tips on answering this question: There's some random constants that you use to figure this out. There also a complicated formula you use for this, but I can't remember where to find it. :(

EDIT: I found a site which may be helpful for the above question. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/radia ... d_431.html This site basically covers the equations for emissivity.

Peak energy emission:

"Calculate the wavelength of peak energy emission for an object at a temperature of 6000 K."
Tips on answering this question: This question is based on Wien's law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien%27s_Law

Hopefully you're good with calculations, because these questions are basically just plugging the given info in a formula, and writing down the answer. I tend to like these questions (math and all that), but I can see why someone wouldn't.
The first question on emissivity's wording mkes little sense. What does it mean by "total energy by an object"? Is there supposed to be an "emitted" after "energy"?
Also, is this the formula? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakuma%E2% ... i_equation
The second question makes sense.

Although, these questions don't seem to be that relevant to Remote Sensing. Ideally, the questions are about satellite imagery, satellites, cameras, types of photographs, analysis of those pictures, etc. but these questions seem to be more related to black bodies...
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

Hello everyone,

I made a remote exam for a regional in March, and if anybody would like to take it/post it on the wiki for everyone I'll send it to whomever would like it. For some reason I can't log into the wiki now, so this will have to do.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

If u send it to me I'll put it up.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion