Remote Sensing C

Celeste
Division: C
State: NE

Re: Remote Sensing C

Postby Celeste » November 21st, 2010, 8:25 am

So i have no idea what this event is about everyone keeps saying human impact on the earth but what does that even mean. Does anyone know some good sites to look at or just what we actually have to do. PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:
In a nutshell, human impact on earth means global warming. You'll find questions about things like greenhouse gas emissions and preventative measures against ecologic destruction. You can have images that show things like shrinking glaciers, deforestation, desertification, and irrigation expansion.
2011~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State, 36th Nats) ~Birds (1st, 2nd, 39th) ~Remote (1st, 3rd, 42nd) ~Wind Power (1st, 4th, x)

2010~Dynamic (1st Regional, 1st State) ~Egg-O (x, 6th) ~Birds (4th, 5th) ~Remote (1st, 1st)

2009~Egg-O (11th State, 36th Nats) ~Herp (6th, 44th) ~Remote (x, 36th)

Galacticdude
State: MI

Postby Galacticdude » November 29th, 2010, 2:23 pm

Based on my previous experiences with this event, it is helpful to have a basis in ecology and reading maps. It does help to have done Road Scholar in B division, but not essential. This really is an event that requires vast amounts of previous knowledge as well as studying, though it can be hard to figure out where to study first.
If there is something that is, but shouldn't be, follow the money.

Galacticdude

Postby Galacticdude » November 29th, 2010, 2:26 pm

So i have no idea what this event is about everyone keeps saying human impact on the earth but what does that even mean. Does anyone know some good sites to look at or just what we actually have to do. PLEASE HELP!!!! :cry:
In a nutshell, human impact on earth means global warming. You'll find questions about things like greenhouse gas emissions and preventative measures against ecologic destruction. You can have images that show things like shrinking glaciers, deforestation, desertification, and irrigation expansion.
Well to say that human impact means global warming is kind of missing some key points. I have seen tests that also deal with deforestation, pollution, and desertification, though I will admit that global warming does play a critical role in this event.
If there is something that is, but shouldn't be, follow the money.

binary010101
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby binary010101 » December 1st, 2010, 4:35 pm

The test (as far as I've seen) is oriented more towards satellite imagery than towards the actual impact on the environment. It's mostly been "what's happening in this picture - deforestation" than "what are the effects of what is happening in this picture."
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

winneratlife

Postby winneratlife » December 1st, 2010, 4:58 pm

The test (as far as I've seen) is oriented more towards satellite imagery than towards the actual impact on the environment. It's mostly been "what's happening in this picture - deforestation" than "what are the effects of what is happening in this picture."
+1

Which is why I suck at that part of the test.

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 20th, 2011, 10:51 am

I'm curious as to how much people have seen questions about specific satellites come up. I have about 2 pages (front and back) devoted to satellites and the instruments used on them, and am wondering if I really need that much, just in case. I've only ever taken one Remote Sensing test at a competition, so I'm looking for experience.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Postby zyzzyva980 » January 20th, 2011, 11:10 am

We haven't had much... I don't recall any on our first test this year, our second test maybe 5/11 questions were on satellites, and the third test didn't have very many at all... then again, I'm not very experienced in this event either.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Gillen
State: MO

Postby Gillen » January 20th, 2011, 11:21 am

I haven't had too much about satellites either, but there has been some. I am putting a lot about satellites and the instruments they carry on my cheat sheets, because its hard to memorize all that stuff.

greywolfst1

Postby greywolfst1 » January 24th, 2011, 3:22 pm

On the Nebraska Regional test on the exchange, anyone care to explain number 9?
Number 9 is using the radiant energy and heat balance and asking a hypothetical question that can be solved only numerically. Basically, look at the figure and numbers and solve. I don't know how to explain it better than this and what is already in the key.

greywolfst1

Postby greywolfst1 » January 24th, 2011, 3:33 pm

First as a disclaimer, proctors tend to vary greatly in this event. There are ecologist that use remote sensing, but then would emphasize the ecology side. Then there are people who are in NASA and helped design/build the satellites, so they might emphasize satellites. A good exam should cover all these aspects. Since you are allowed to bring in sheets, I recommend including on these sheets the details of all the current satellites put up by NASA. For safety's sake you might put on some others. Having some background in the current topic will be useful. I suggest looking at the tests in the test bank, both of them are very different in format, but you can see what similarities there are and focus on studying those areas if you are limited on time.

Return to “2011 Study Events”