Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by mnstrviola »

thesilversound wrote:How much emphasis is there supposed to be on the endocrine system? At the SE PA Division C regionals, I felt like there was too much emphasis on the endocrine system and diseases, and not enough on the muscular system, which was what I had been mostly preparing for...
I believe it's up to the event manager, so be prepared for anything.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

mnstrviola wrote:
thesilversound wrote:How much emphasis is there supposed to be on the endocrine system? At the SE PA Division C regionals, I felt like there was too much emphasis on the endocrine system and diseases, and not enough on the muscular system, which was what I had been mostly preparing for...
I believe it's up to the event manager, so be prepared for anything.
Agreed, but usually it's a third of the test (at least, in theory). It varies, but I have noticed that there has been a heavy emphasis on muscular and endocrine this year. I think event coordinators are hesitant to use respiratory because it's new.
thesilversound
Division: C
State: PA

Post by thesilversound »

Actually, a lot of the test was respiratory and endocrine, and they maybe had some labeling muscles and some questions about muscles, but not as in depth or as many as I had expected. Or maybe I'm just the only one who thinks that...
2011 SE Pennsylvania Regionals: Anatomy- 1st, Ornithology- 2nd, Ecology- 2nd
2011 Pennsylvania States: Anatomy - 2nd
Steveman518

Post by Steveman518 »

It's also more difficult to write more challenging questions about respiratory system. Most of the stuff in the rules IMO is pretty basic until you reach nationals, so it's basically free points for the respiratory system if you study what the rules tell you to (and it's really not that much material compared to the other systems). Then again, the exam itself told a different story...
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

Well, it definitely varies by event coordinator. I mentioned earlier that at Boyceville a good third of the test was on the skeletal system.
And agreed, Steve, the respiratory system isn't that hard if you study what's on the list.
thesilversound

Post by thesilversound »

Yeah, respiratory is pretty basic compared to the past systems.
But what I've noticed from experience, is that especially on the PA state test, they tend to write in a lot of Nationals material as well, so you have to make sure you know everything, not just what they tell you to study for Regionals.
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Hi guys, it's me again!

I would just like to share a word warning of with those of you who haven't taken the Anatomy and Physiology test before. DON'T BASE EVERYTHING YOU STUDY OFF OF WHAT IS SUGGESTED IN THE RULES! I made this grievous error and it cost me a medal. My region based the test off of the three suggested systems, but didn't draw from the official rules when coming up with questions. Not even a little. The hours of studying and prep along with my "cheat sheet" were worthless at the competition. I basically "educated-guessed" my way through the test. Because of my lack of foresight I placed 7th out of 22 teams participating. :x

DON'T LET THIS BE YOU! STUDY AS MUCH AND AS WIDE A VARIETY OF MATERIAL AS YOU CAN!

In addition my region didn't include a single question on the origin, insertion, location, or function of muscles. The test mainly consisted of respiratory-related questions, with a huge emphasis on things at a cellular level and diseases. The diseases were ones not suggested in the rules for any level, regional, state or national. (Example: Cystic Fibrosis). STUDY EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

Hope this helps!
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

At the same time, the rest of the teams should have been at a similar disadvantage. Most tests will not do that to that extent - you must of course know what's specified in the rules first, but if you find something else of interest about the systems, don't not learn it simply because it isn't in the rules!
I'm sorry about that test, though, aubrey. I'd hate for that to happen, though it seems like you pulled through reasonably well, even if you didn't medal. :? :lol:
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
aubrey048
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by aubrey048 »

Thanks for your sympathy, chia!

What I meant is that some kids studied more extensively than me (obviously) and because of this they medaled. It was tough, though. The winning team from last year only placed fourth this time. *Quick mental calculation* Hey, that would mean that I would have medaled last year! :D Last year (in our region), they deemed 4th place medal-worthy.

I basically used what I knew to try to answer the questions, and the process of elimination. Next year I will be SO READY! :D
Plotting the function of the universe for efficiency without your permission.

Projected 2011-2012 Events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Tower, Optics, Helicopter.
Past Events: Anatomy (7th), Helicopter (6th), Mission Possible (1st), Write It Do It (4th, 8th), Ornithology (5th).
thesilversound

Post by thesilversound »

aubrey048 wrote:Thanks for your sympathy, chia!

What I meant is that some kids studied more extensively than me (obviously) and because of this they medaled. It was tough, though. The winning team from last year only placed fourth this time. *Quick mental calculation* Hey, that would mean that I would have medaled last year! :D Last year (in our region), they deemed 4th place medal-worthy.

I basically used what I knew to try to answer the questions, and the process of elimination. Next year I will be SO READY! :D
How long have you been doing Anatomy? For invitationals, there was a lot more stuff on the test that wasn't in the rules, and we got seventh as well... but at regionals, the test had a lot more emphasis on endocrine, and I think that's what separated us from the rest, because we were able to answer all the endocrine questions pretty well, and we ended up getting first. But you're right, it's the same for other events as well. Often times, the test writer will put things on the test that you didn't know you had to study >.< Sometimes, it can be an advantage, because with harder tests, it's easier to separate the people who have a solid background and the people who haven't studied as much. I'm pretty sure you probably studied well, and seventh isn't bad. At least you know now and you're prepared for next year! Good luck!

Return to “2011 Study Events”